Recipe: Cajun Rice and Kielbasa Skillet


Have you ever gotten to the grocery store and a sale was just too good to pass up? … you get home and now you have to think of a dish you want to make with it… and nothing rings your chimes…. I’m sure you have…. it’s definitely a “been there done that” moment.

That was mine with the kielbasa. We love kielbasa… with pierogies, with onions and potatoes… onions and cabbage… even in soup… and we had just had those dishes recently… so there I was staring blankly into my fridge and pantry.. trying to decide what to make… and this recipe was born.

I’m sure I’m not the first to have thought of this kind of combination… but I did come up with it .. my Cajun Spice was a last minute addition when I tasted the rice and decided it needed something… and boy did it get it!

TIPS

I used a full tablespoon of the Cajun Spice… lips on fire!... well not really but it was a bit spicy for my tastes… Warren was happy with it… I list the ingredient with a range… and I do list it as ½ tablespoon… use your tablespoon measuring spoon and eyeball it … as Rachael Ray would say… start off small.. you can always add more.

As for the Cajun Spice… click here for my recipe… I highly recommend it.. I have a small jar of it made up and use it often… so many things to use it in… if you prefer a commercially made Cajun Spice.. you will have to adjust the quantity in the recipe to your tastes since every spice combination is different.

This was a quick and easy skillet meal… start to finish in about 20 minutes… one skillet to clean… a great weeknight supper.






Recipe: Cajun Rice and Kielbasa Skillet

All you need:

1 kielbasa sausage, sliced
1 medium onion, finely diced
1 large garlic clove, finely diced
2 tablespoons olive oil plus a little more
2 cups instant rice
2 cups beef broth
½ - 1 tablespoon Cajun Spice (see tips)

All you need to do:

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.

Add the garlic and onions and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring them constantly.

Add the sliced sausage and rice.. drizzle a little more olive oil over the rice and stir well… you do not need very much….. cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.

Add the beef broth and stir. Let it simmer … adjust heat as needed.

Add Cajun seasoning and cook until rice is tender.

Serve immediately.

No comments:

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup