Recipe: Potatoes and Chorizo


I’m always looking for a way to change up what we have for breakfast… we love breakfast foods… after all.. breakfast foods are not only for breakfast… they often make a hearty weeknight supper too.

Mexican chorizo with its spicy blend of flavors goes perfectly with potatoes and onions… fry or poach an egg for on top of the Potatoes and Chorizo and you have yourself a dandy breakfast or weeknight meal.

TIPS

Chorizo should be fairly easy to find in the supper market… look in either the section where you find the hot dogs or the meat section… if you still can’t find it… ask the meat manager… it’s probably there just in a specialty location in the store.

You can easily squeeze the chorizo out of its casing and into a skillet… as it cooks… break it up into bits.



I always drain my chorizo on paper towels after cooking.. you would be surprised at how much fat that removes.

I don’t usually have a lot of chorizo grease left in my pan after I cook the sausage (that will vary by brand)… so I need to add a bit of olive oil to it to cook the potatoes… you should have about 1-2 tablespoons of grease (chorizo and olive oil combined) to cook this… if you have more chorizo grease in your pan.. remove some.. otherwise add a bit of olive oil.

The amount of potatoes and chorizo are approximate.. use whatever amounts you need and adjust the amount of onion accordingly.

I use 3 links about the size of hot dogs for this dish… you can use more or less… the chorizo I get tends to have a little zip to it… so I am careful not to overdo the amount of chorizo I use.

Some people parboil the potatoes first… I don’t … I cut the cubes fairly small.. about the size you get in frozen hash brown bags in the freezer section.. so they don’t require a lot of cooking… after putting them in the hot skillet… I add about 2 tablespoons of water to the skillet and cover it.. the steam helps cook the potatoes.

You could also use frozen hash brown potatoes instead of fresh potatoes.



I hope you try this… if you like Mexican food.. you will like this!






Recipe: Potatoes and Chorizo

All you need:

3 links chorizo, casing removed (see Tips)
4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
1 medium onion, chopped
About a tablespoon of olive oil (see Tips)
Salt and pepper to taste

All you have to do:

Squeeze the chorizo out of its casing and cook in a hot skillet over medium high heat. Break the sausage up into small bits as it cooks. Drain on paper towels.

Leave about 1 ½ tablespoons of chorizo grease in the pan.. if you don’t have that much add a bit of olive oil.

Add the potatoes and stir well to distribute the grease/oil evenly on the potatoes. Cook until tender … see tips. When potatoes are starting to brown a bit.. add the chopped onion and stir well.

Cook until the onions are soft and the potatoes are to desired browned and crispness. Don’t let the potatoes burn, adjust heat if necessary.

Add the chorizo back into the skillet, stir well. Cook for a few minutes until heated through. Add salt and/or pepper to taste.

Serve immediately.

1 comment:

Kat said...

I have never had Chorizo. I go by it every time I visit the supermarket and have been tempted many times to try it. This looks like a great way to introduce me to this sausage as I make this type of potatoes for breakfast about once a month. Thanks.

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup