Crock Pot Turkey Chili



I love to make Chili and decided to try and lower the fat and not increase the carbs.  This recipe is as low fat and low carb as chili can … and all without sacrificing the flavor.  With lots of kidney beans, onions and peppers and canned tomatoes with green chilies you would never know it wasn’t made with beef.

TIPS

This recipe is almost identical to my beef Chili recipe.. I did add more chili powder in this recipe, it needs a bit more flavoring since turkey tends to be bland.

I also eliminated the cornstarch and instead used a small can of plain Hunts Tomato Sauce to thicken the chili up a bit.

I love to use Rotel Diced Tomatoes. They give the Chili some spark but the Chili isn’t too spicy.

If you like really mild Chili I would recommend substituting one of the diced tomato cans with Hunts Diced Tomatoes with Garlic and Onion or Diced Tomatoes with Green Pepper and Onion. The Rotel Diced Tomatoes and Mild Green Chilies are really not that spicy and the flavor it adds is especially good.

If you like really spicy Chili, I would up the amount of spices, particularly the red pepper flakes and the cayenne pepper. I have added a little Tabasco sauce for an extra kick as well.

I use 2 pounds of ground turkey because my family likes it meatier, but you can use 1 pound or even go meatless, it’s up to you.

I use both dark and light kidney beans, you can use either, I just like the variety. Can sizes vary, I’ve seen some brands 15.25 oz and some 15.5 oz… either one is fine, the difference is so small it doesn’t matter.

I use green, red and yellow peppers, again I like the variety and the look it gives the Chili. Yellow peppers tend to be expensive so if you want to substitute green or red for the yellow, you can. I would definitely recommend using red and green peppers, I think the flavors are distinctive.

I use my crock pot to make this, but you can make it in a large pot on the stove.  Make sure to stir it frequently and not let the bottom of the chili burn.

What I like about using a crock pot is that the long cooking seems to meld all the flavors together better and you also don’t have to worry about the beans sticking to the bottom of the pot.

With a crock pot you don’t have to stir it as frequently and don’t have to watch it, it allows you to do more important things… like reading my website!







Recipe:  Turkey Chili

All you need:

2 lbs. ground turkey

3 cans (10 oz. each) Rotel Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies

1 can (8 oz,) Hunts Tomato Sauce

1 can (about 15 oz.) light red kidney beans, drained and rinsed

1 can (about 15 oz) dark kidney beans, drained and rinsed

3 medium onions, diced

1 green pepper, diced

1 red pepper, diced

1 yellow pepper, diced

4 cloves of garlic, minced

1/3 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste

1 ½ tablespoons chili powder

2 teaspoon cumin

½ teaspoon cayenne, or to taste

2 tablespoons sweet paprika

1 teaspoon salt

Shredded Cheddar Cheese, for garnish

Sour Cream, for garnish

Finely chopped green onion, for garnish

All you have to do:

In a heavy skillet on medium high heat, brown the ground turkey. Drain off fat.

In a crock pot combine all ingredients, including browned beef, except for garnishes. Cook on low for 7-8 hours or or 4-5 hours on high or until done, stirring occasionally.

Serve with Cheddar Cheese, sour cream, chopped green onion.

No comments:

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup