Recipe: Bacon Egg Salad in a Pita


I’m always looking for a new way to serve up sandwiches … make old favorites interesting again. I have been craving egg salad for a while now and finally…. I made it for myself. I like to use pitas because they hold the contents together so nicely. … the addition of bacon adds a completely new layer of flavor that’s so good…. and leaf lettuce… I love lettuce, especially leaf lettuce… goes on every sandwich… well… almost every sandwich.

As for the bacon…. I suggest you read a post I ran recently…. Making Bacon in the Oven…. I swear to you this is the way to go! A couple of food network chefs raved about this method…. and I had to try it… it truly is the best… no mess no fuss… just terrific.

I made a couple of extra pieces over the weekend when we had bacon…. and had to practically hog tie Warren and the dogs from eating them…. you think I jest…. those three little noses (Warren, Bubba and Duke… in case you needed to know) smell bacon from 100 yards away…. and try to explain to the happy taste testers that those two extra slices are mine for egg salad…. (big sigh) … truth be told, I hid them when I made them. By the way… I used thick sliced smoked bacon…. great flavor.... because of the salt in the bacon... you really don't need to add salt to the salad.

For a great tip on boiling eggs perfectly without “gray around the yolk”… see my tip for boiling Perfect Hard-Boiled Eggs.

This recipe for Bacon Egg Salad is a basic egg salad… with finely chopped bacon in it…. I used my mini processor to chop the bacon… I wanted it very finely chopped…… I chopped the eggs myself with a knife because I wanted a “rough” chop… and I always use Hellman’s Real Mayonnaise … you can use whatever brand you like… I just think theirs is the best.

Enjoy!

PRINT RECIPE

Recipe: Bacon Egg Salad in a Pita

All you need:

2 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and roughly chopped
2 sliced of bacon, cooked crisply and finely chopped
2 tablespoons Hellman’s Real Mayonnaise
Pepper to taste
2 pieces leaf lettuce
1 pita pocket

All you need to do:

Combine the chopped egg, chopped bacon, pepper and mayo in a bowl. Mix well.
Slit open the pita… lay the lettuce in and stuff the egg salad in…. and enjoy!
Makes 1 stuffed pita sandwich.

No comments:

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup