Making Bacon in the Oven


Cooking Tip of the Day

Making bacon in the oven is a snap, with hardly any clean-up. I will never again stand there and cook bacon in a skillet on the stove.

 I heard this tip several times on Food Network shows (Barefoot Contessa and Michael Chiarello’s Easy Entertaining…. to name two) …. although oven temperatures varied … and some laid the bacon on a rack in a baking pan, while others just laid the bacon on a baking pan…. the basic idea was the same. I tried it and couldn’t believe how easy it was.

Simply line a baking pan with foil and lay your bacon strips on it. (or lay them on a rack, so they won’t be in the grease)

Put it into a cold oven and set the oven on 400 degrees F. Use a full size oven only… DO NOT USE A TOASTER OVEN.

Check it after 15 minutes…. if you like your bacon crispier, then you will likely need to bake them for another 5 minutes, but keep a close eye on it, they can burn easily.

Remove the pan from the oven and immediately remove the bacon, drain on paper towels.

Let the pan cool, when cool, the bacon grease will gel and clean-up will be a snap… just throw away the foil.

4 comments:

Amariah said...

Sweet! I'll have to try this one next time I'm making bacon.

Sherri Murphy said...

I must try this.

Linda said...

You will never use a skillet to fry bacon again... trust me

Kelley said...

I've used this method many times and it works great. I've cooked at temps anywhere between 325 and 450 with the lower temps being used for the thinner cuts and more controlled finish. The higher temps will burn quicker obviously. Being a bacon lover, sometimes I want the fond that's leftover on the bottom of the pan. It's almost impossible to reclaim the fond from the oven method so I will still use the fry pan when I want this bit of extra flavor.

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup