German Apple Pancake


German Apple Pancake... also known as a Dutch Baby are absolutely delicious... and so easy to make.... from start to finish just 35 minutes... and foolproof too!
It's a classic recipe....
TIPS
 I used Granny Smith apples.. I like the tart apples with the sweetness of the other ingredients.. but yo can use any apples you prefer.
Follow the instructions as written.. mix the batter first.. let it rest for 20 minutes... while it rests.. you can easily peel and slice the apples and cook them in the skillet... timing wise this is perfect.
I use unsalted butter in my recipes.. I prefer to add salt (or not add it if I don't want to)... I don't add salt to this recipe.
I measure the cinnamon and sprinkle it over the apples... I stir the apples to mix the cinnamon as much as I can.... I then sprinkle lightly additional cinnamon over any apples that don't have any or not enough cinnamon on them.  I also don't measure the nutmeg.... I just lightly sprinkle it over the apples.
I used a cast iron skillet by Le Creuset ... I know they're expensive... but they do have outlets... and you can catch a sale on top of the discounted price... well worth it.... They are so pretty from oven to table... and they last forever... and no.. I don't get anything for singing their praises.. just my opinion... a regular cast iron will work too..

I used a 12 inch skillet.... you could probably use a 10 inch skillet also.. the pancake will be a little thicker.... when baking you may also need a few more minutes with the smaller skillet... if the ends start to get too dark.. just lay a piece of foil loosely over the skillet.
This pancake will puff up when baking... then it will deflate as it cools... it's supposed to do that.
I serve it using a spatula... so you can get underneath and scoop up the apples with it.
This recipe serves 2-3 if you're not serving anything else besides maybe sausage... if you serve scrambled eggs with it.. I'd say it would serve 4. 
To serve it... serve it in the pan and cut into wedges.
We eat it with just powdered sugar.. but you could also serve it with maple syrup.
Try it... this is sooo good!







Recipe:  German Apple Pancake
All you need:
4 eggs
1 cup whole milk
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3 tablespoons butter
2 large apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
1/2+  teaspoon cinnamon *See TIPS
nutmeg * See TIPS
1/3 cup light brown sugar
Powdered sugar for garnish
All you have to do:
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
In a large bowl, lightly beat together the eggs, milk and vanilla.  Add the flour and whisk lightly until mixed ... do not over mix.   Set the batter aside and let it rest for about 20 minutes.
Peel, core and thinly slice the apples.  Melt the butter over high heat... add the apples, cinnamon and nutmeg and cook until the apples are soft... about 5 minutes.  I add then add the brown sugar and stir well.... I cook an addition few minutes (about 3 minutes).
I then pour the batter over the apples.... put the skillet immediately into the pre-heated oven.  Bake for 15 minutes or until the sides are puffed and it is golden brown.
Remove from the oven and sprinkle with powdered sugar.  Serve immediately.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Linda,
Do you use plain or self-rising flour? I have made your recipe using plain flour, but today I’m going to try self-rising. Thank you!

Linda Percell said...

I use plain flour. All self rising flour is is a blend of plain flour with baking powder and salt. Typically the blend is one cup flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt. It's easy enough to do yourself, so I don't buy self rising flour. Hope that helps. Sorry for the delay in response, I didn't see this comment awaiting publishing.

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup