Easy Sweet and Sour Sauce


 I always seemed to be out of Sweet and Sour sauce when I wanted to have it for a recipe...so I finally stopped buying it and now I make my own...it really is easy! I have no idea why I was buying it... it just makes sense to make it from scratch.. all the flavor and no preservatives!

TIPS

I used Worcestershire sauce… I have used soy sauce with a lot of luck in the past… just use about 1 teaspoon in place of the Worcestershire sauce…..

I usually use rice vinegar… it tastes milder than regular white vinegar… but I didn’t have any on hand… either will do… you may need to adjust the sugar amount a bit to your taste by adding a bit more.

To avoid lumps… mix the cornstarch with a little pineapple juice before adding it into the rest of the ingredients.

This made enough to fill a small bowl… in case you want to use it for a dipping sauce… if you use it like I did for a stir fry… this was enough when using about a pound of cut up chicken breasts… if you use more chicken… double the recipe and add as needed to your dish… store any leftovers in the fridge.






PRINT RECIPE

Recipe: Sweet and Sour Sauce

All you need:

1 can (6 oz.) pineapple juice
¼ cup ketchup
¼ cup packed brown sugar
¼ cup white vinegar or rice vinegar
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons apricot preserves
2 tablespoons cherry juice (from a bottle of cherries)
½ teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon garlic powder
1 ½ tablespoons cornstarch

All you have to do:

Mix all ingredients in a small sauce pan… heat over medium heat until desired thickness. Whisking frequently.

No comments:

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup