Easy Potato Latkes

I posted my original recipe for Potato Latkes years ago.  It was the traditional recipe, par-boiling the potatoes etc.  It did mention a tip using frozen hash browns or refrigerated shredded potatoes as a quick substitute for whole potatoes. 

Fast forward to last night, a busy day turned into a busy night and I wanted to get supper on the table quicker but didn't want to change what I originally planned on serving...so a shortcut was in order.

As I was cooking them.. I thought to myself... this is more than "just a tip" it's a life saver for someone that's busy but still wants to make a nice meal. I made a mental note to post the recipe again using refrigerated shredded potatoes.

Before going further... so what exactly are Potato Latkes?

Potato latkes are another traditionally Jewish food that is absolutely delicious. These little potato pancakes are terrific served with applesauce or sour cream. You can make them small for appetizers or a little bigger for a side dish of a meal… either way… they are yummy!

TIPS

The recipe calls for shredded potatoes… in the years since my original post I have started regularly buying "Simply Potatoes" shredded and partially cooked potatoes in the bag in the dairy section of the supermarket.

I sometimes throw a bag in the freezer so I always have them on hand.... whether using them out of the fridge or after defrosting them from the freezer..definitely lay them out on paper towel to soak up some of the excess moisture, but don't go crazy trying them out... they will be fine if a little wet.

If they are a little too wet, I simply sprinkle an additional tablespoon or so of flour on them and toss them to coat.

I did alter the recipe a little... I like to sauté my onion in 2 tablespoons of butter and then cool them before adding them into the potatoes.  It makes the onion flavor a little more subtle.

I also added about 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley... it's optional, but we like it.

Depending on your pan, will depend how much oil you really need.  I use a non-stick pan and only use what I need, which in my opinion is less than 1/2 cup.  I also like to use some butter for flavor.  I start out with about 2 tablespoons of each and as I cook them add more as needed.

And finally, I altered the quantity  of flour from the original recipe to adjust for the use of an entire bag of "Simply Potatoes" shredded potatoes and taking into account they are somewhat wetter than when whole potatoes are used.

Serve with applesauce and/or sour cream.

These are easy… I hope you try them!







Recipe:  Easy Potato Latkes

All you need:

1 bag Simply Potatoes Hash Brown Potatoes
1 small onion, grated or finely chopped
2 tablespoons butter
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley (optional)
1 teaspoon salt
About ½ cup oil *See TIPS

All you need to do:

In a medium bowl toss the shredded potatoes with the flour until coated evenly.

Place the butter in a small skillet and melt it over medium low heat.  Add the onion and sauté until the onions are soft.  Do not allow them to brown.  Remove the skillet from the heat and allow to cool.

Add the onion, eggs, chopped parsley (if adding) and salt. Stir to completely combine.

In a large heavy skillet, heat enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan over medium high heat until hot.  Add oil as needed.

Drop large spoonfuls of the potato mixture into the hot oil.

Press down on them to flatten into ¼ to ½ inch patties.

Brown on one side, then turn and brown the other side.

Remove and place on paper towels to drain.

Serve hot with applesauce and/or sour cream.



No comments:

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup