Crock Pot Italian Pot Roast




Nothing is better than a Crock-Pot meal.... especially during the week... coming home to a house smelling wonderful and dinner almost totally made... heaven!
I've posted a number of Pot Roast recipes.. all good in their own right... but I wanted to make something a little different... so I decided on an Italian version.
TIPS
Make sure you season this dish enough.. the slow cooking seems to dull spices... 
I used Beef Consommé ... I like the more intense beef flavor.. you can substitute beef broth if that's what you have on hand.
I like Portobello mushrooms..  they have a wonderful earthy flavor and I think it enhances this dish.
I like boneless beef bottom round... I think the meat is more tender but a chuck roast will do nicely as well.
The longer you cook this .. the more the meat will fall apart... I used a smaller roast today... just over 2 pounds... and cooked it on high for 4 1/2 hours...it sliced nicely. 
When I use a smaller roast.. I use the same amount of other ingredients.. extra gravy is never a bad thing.
My gravy was very thin.. if you prefer thicker gravy... double the amount of tomato paste.
I used canned diced tomatoes... you can use whatever variety you prefer... I highly recommend the Basil, Oregano and Garlic one.. it just adds to the flavor.
Serve this with garlicy mashed potatoes or polenta and a side salad... just delicious!







Recipe:  Crock-Pot Italian Pot Roast
All you need:
3 to 3 ½ lb boneless beef bottom round roast or chuck roast
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, cut in half then sliced
1 large garlic cloves, minced
1 pkg. (8 oz.) Portobello mushrooms, cut in half
1/2 cup baby carrots
1 can Campbell's Beef Consommé
1 can Hunt's Diced Tomatoes with Basil, Garlic and Oregano
1/2 cup red wine
2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning
1/2 can tomato paste (seasoned is best)
All you have to do:
In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium high heat.  Sprinkle the roast with salt, pepper and garlic powder.  Sear the meat on all sides... about 2 minutes a side.
Place the roast in a crock pot.  Add all the remaining ingredients.  Cook on low for about 8 hours or on high about 5 hours on low or until beef is tender.

No comments:

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup