Italian Chicken Portobello and Mac Skillet


I love skillet meals.. they're easy and delicious... and this recipe for Italian Chicken Portobello and Mac Skillet is no exception.  I love to experiment and this one is one I made recently when I defrosted chicken tenders thinking they were cutlets... yes... I know I should mark the freezer bag... but then I wouldn't be forced to get inventive!
As always there is room to adjust the recipe to your tastes and what you have available in your pantry... just peruse the TIPS and see what changes appeal to you... or try the recipe as written...we loved it!
TIPS
As I mentioned ... I used chicken tenders... I didn't feel like oven fried chicken tenders the night I defrosted them... so I decided to do something different with them... you can use chicken breasts cut up instead... which is what I will probably do when I make this again.
I used Hunts Canned Diced Tomatoes seasoned with Basil, Garlic and Oregano.... you can use another variety.. just adjust the seasoning accordingly...  if using plain diced tomatoes... add about 1/2 tablespoon of Italian seasoning... taste it after cooking for a while and add more if you want a bolder flavor.
Just as a side tip... my local supermarket puts these on sale periodically... I stock up on all the varieties ... they really come in handy with so many meals...
I used wine in the recipe.. we like the light flavor of it with the tomatoes.. you can omit it and add more chicken broth instead.
I use a Sauvignon Blanc for the wine... nothing expensive... I never use the "cooking wines" sold in the grocery store.. they are really poor quality and very salty... and really they end up more expensive... so try and avoid using them.
I added sliced black olives... they added a light flavor and great color.. if you're not a fan... leave them out...
I used Portobello mushrooms.. we love the earthy flavor.. you can use regular mushrooms instead.
Sweet onions are a great choice for this dish... but a yellow onion will do fine also.
I know the instructions tell you to sprinkle the chicken heavily with garlic powder... you really need the garlic flavor to shine through with all the other flavors...another option is you can instead.. add a minced garlic clove and add it in as the onions soften. 



I used one small zucchini... not peeled... slice it into thick sliced.. then cut each slice in half (so they look like half moons).

I sprinkled shredded Italian blend cheese at the end... I was almost out of it.. so I didn't use a lot.. use as much or as little as you like.. if you like it cheesy ... use more than I did.
If you like green bell peppers.. they would make a great addition also... I would recommend slices rather than chopped.
This was a great one skillet meal... serve it with a side salad.. and dinner is served!






Recipe:  Italian Chicken Portobello and Mac Skillet
All you need:
1 pound chicken tenders or boneless chicken breasts, cut into pieces
2 tablespoons olive oil
Garlic powder
Ground black pepper
1 large onion, sliced

1 small zucchini, sliced and cut in half *See Tips
1 pkg. (8 oz.) Portobello mushrooms, sliced
1 small can sliced black olives, drained
1/4 cup dry white wine *See TIPS
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 can Hunts Canned Diced Tomatoes with Basil, Garlic and Oregano
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 1/2 cups dry Rotini macaroni
1/2 cup shredded Italian Blend cheese
All you need to do:
Season the chicken heavily with garlic powder... then sprinkle lightly with ground black pepper.
In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium high heat.
Add the chicken and sauté until lightly brown on all sides.  Remove the chicken to a plate.  Add the sliced onions to the skillet and cook until almost soft... make sure they don't brown.. you may need to drizzle a little more olive oil on them and lower the heat a bit.  When the onions are almost sloft.. add the mushrooms and the zucchini and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes.
Add the wine and deglaze the pan... then add the chicken and remaining ingredients (EXCEPT the shredded cheese) into the skillet.  Make sure all the dry macaroni is submerged into the cooking liquid.  If you need a bit more liquid add a little chicken broth (I didn't need to do that).
Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until macaroni is cooked.  Stir occasionally.  When the macaroni is cooked... sprinkle the top with the shredded cheese and cover.  Cook 3-4 minutes or until the cheese is melted. 
Serve immediately.

No comments:

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup