Recipe: Open Face O'Brien Potato Omelet


This easy to make omelet combines delicious O'Brien Potatoes with eggs and bacon and cheddar cheese.. now how can you beat that?
This slightly adapted recipe comes from the folks at Ore-Ida.. the makers of frozen O'Brien Potatoes.
Read on for some helpful tips to help make your meal a success.
TIPS
I fell a tad guilty saying this.. the recipe does come from Ore-Ida... but... I prefer making my own O'Brien Potatoes.... make no mistake.. I used to use their O'Brien Potatoes.. but in recent years I just feel there is not enough peppers and onion in the mix...
An alternative to making your own O'Brien Potato from scratch is to simply add additional peppers and onions... there.. I no longer feel guilty.
However, I do like making my own and this recipe is the "from scratch" recipe.
When dicing your potatoes.. make sure you cut them into an even size... this way they will cook evenly.
I used Russet potatoes.. you can use any variety...
They use A LOT more butter than I do.. I cut it back and I still think I would prefer it even less...
I used butter and olive oil to make my potatoes... I like to cut the fat a bit and I find olive oil makes the butter less likely to brown.
The big pan I used in the final part simply did not brown the potatoes well.. if you have a cast iron pan.. make the potatoes in that.. in fact the whole dish could be made in that.. but I must admit the heavy enamel covered pan makes a pretty nice presentation.
They naturally add all the peppers and onions in the pan with the potatoes (they're all frozen together in their mix).. if you're making this from scratch... cook the potatoes until they are almost done.. then add the peppers and onions.. you want them to get soft not browned.. otherwise they have a bitter taste.
I crumbled bacon over the top.. their recipe calls just for bacon bits... so I suppose you could buy the ones in the jar.. but making bacon is easy.. make bacon in the oven.. quick, easy and a snap to clean up... no messy stove... click here for instructions.
I originally followed their instructions by sprinkling the shredded cheddar cheese over the top and continued to cook it on the stove top... what happened was my eggs .. I feel... browned more than I would like on the bottom... a better way is to preheat your oven to 375 or 400... and place the pan in there to melt the cheese.. it takes about 3 minutes is all.  Just make sure you use an oven-proof skillet.
They suggest sour cream as a garnish... we love sour cream..  so that suggest went over big here... salsa would also be outstanding on this.
This is easy.. follow my step by step instructions.. and you can have a scrumptious breakfast on the table in about 40 minutes.






Recipe:  Open Face O'Brien Potato Omelet
All you need:
3 large Russet Potatoes, peeled and diced
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium size red pepper, diced
1 medium size green pepper, diced
1 small onion, finely diced
3 strips of bacon, cooked and chopped
6 eggs, beaten
Dash of milk
Butter flavor cooking oil spray
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup green onion, sliced
Sour Cream (optional)
Salsa (optional)
All you need to do:
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
In a heavy skillet melt the butter with the olive oil over medium high heat.
Add the potatoes and cook until the potatoes are almost finished cooking (you want the potatoes soft on the inside and slightly crisp on the outside ... assuming you want them crisp)
Add the onions and peppers and cook them until soft.  Mix well.
In another heavy skillet that is oven proof... spray it lightly with butter flavor cooking oil spray.  Heat it over medium high heat.  Add the eggs and allow to cook until set.
Remove the skillet from the heat and spoon the cooked O'Brien Potatoes over the eggs.  Sprinkle with cooked chopped bacon and then with shredded cheddar cheese.  Sprinkle with green onion.
Place the skillet in the preheated oven until cheese has melted... about 3-5 minutes.. watch it so it doesn't burn.
TIP:  If you don't have an oven-proof skillet... put the potatoes, bacon, cheese and green onion over the eggs after they are set but not fully done cooking... then lower the heat on the stove a bit and cover... the eggs should cook completely as the cheese melts.
Serve in wedges and with sour cream and salsa for garnishes.

 

No comments:

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup