Recipe: Herbed Potato and Bacon Frittata


I love making eggs… all kinds… I can eat eggs for breakfast, lunch or dinner… scrambled, fried or poached.. it’s all good to me..

I featured a number of frittatas last year… and then moved on to many other egg recipes… recently Warren and I were talking about frittatas and how I first started eating them… believe it or not .. it was over 30 years ago… I worked in management in a large department store in New York… back then.. all the big department stores had restaurants… by the way.. it was a sad day when they petered out… in any case… the restaurant had this “Italian Omelet” … which was actually a frittata… it had potatoes, peppers, onions and mushrooms… seasonings and was just fabulous.. I loved it… a small side salad and it was dinner on the nights I had to work…

It occurred to me as I was telling Warren the story that I hadn’t posted a frittata with potatoes… silly me… so I decided to post one of my potato frittatas… not the one I had in the restaurant .. this one is just as good… herbed potatoes and bacon… everything is better with bacon.. you know.

This simple recipe features herbed potatoes, bacon, cheddar cheese and some parsley… you can make it in a 9 inch non-stick round or square cake pan or a pie plate… the recipe serves 3 comfortably. Serve it with a English muffins for breakfast or small side salad or cup of soup for lunch or dinner.

TIPS

You can make the bacon in the oven or on the stove… if you need instructions on how to cook bacon in the oven… check out my post.

I used 1 ½ tablespoons of bacon grease for the potatoes… you can substitute melted butter if you prefer.

I would recommend greasing the pan with cooking spray even if it is non-stick… it can be difficult getting it to cut into nice wedges if it does stick.

The frittata will probably puff up in spots… this is expected and okay.

This recipe is quick and easy …






Recipe: Herbed Potato and Bacon Frittata

All you need:

3 strips thick sliced smoked bacon, cooked and coarsely chopped
3-4 Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and diced
1/8 teaspoon Thyme
1/8 teaspoon Rosemary
¼ teaspoon Oregano
½ teaspoon Paprika
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
6 eggs, beaten with dash of milk
½ cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped

All you need to do:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Cook the bacon (any method you prefer)… coarsely chop the bacon and reserve 1 ½ tablespoons bacon grease. Set aside.


Place the diced potatoes in a medium bowl.

In a small bowl, combine the spices and salt and pepper.





Add the spice mixture to the potatoes and toss to evenly coat.

Add the bacon grease and toss to coat.







Place the diced potatoes evenly in a 9 inch non stick baking pan.

Bake the potatoes for 10-15 minutes until evenly browned.

Remove from the oven.





Sprinkle the bacon evenly over the potatoes.

Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the bacon and potatoes.

Sprinkle with the chopped parsley.

Pour the beaten eggs over the potatoes.

Bake for 10 minutes or until set.


Allow to stand for 5 minutes…then cut into wedges or squares (if using a square pan).

Serve immediately.

No comments:

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup