Recipe: Popovers


My love affair with Popovers began as a child… I lived on Long Island in New York… and my parents would take me to a restaurant called Lauraine Murphy’s…. it was in Manhasset…. they would have a “popover girl” …. with an enormous basket lined with a linen napkin… and filled with popovers…. she walked around the restaurant saying… Popover? One bite and I was in love…. a light hollow puffed-up roll… with soft insides… served hot with butter melting over all the insides…. Forget the meal.. just keep the popovers coming.



Oddly enough… I don’t recall my mother making them… she probably did… but the restaurant’s popovers are the ones that stick in my mind.

They’re extremely easy to make…. the key is to mix the egg batter with a light touch and a very hot oven.

Years ago I bought a popover tin… one of the best purchases I’ve made over the years. The non-stick metal is commercial grade… I have never, ever had them stick.. and I don’t have to grease the pan.

I wish I could tell you that I came up with the recipe… or I got it from some fancy cookbook by a famous chef… but truth be told… it’s the recipe on the box the tin came in… from the kind folks at Roshco. I’ve made these probably hundreds of times over the years… and never had a failure… always came out picture perfect.

I made them a couple of times for Warren.. he is not a fan… he says they’re okay… geesh… sometimes I wonder if he isn’t from planet Zircon.. or just plain nuts… I simply don’t understand how anyone cannot love popovers.

TIPS

You can use a muffin tin.. my suggestion would be if you need to use a muffin tin to use the jumbo muffin tin if you don’t have a popover tin.

The original recipe calls for 3 jumbo eggs… I have always used 3 large eggs without a problem.

The recipe calls for whole milk… I do suggest you use whole milk… see my post about making whole milk from skim and other lower fat milks.



Back to the popover tin.. a worthwhile purchase if you like popovers… I found one that looks like mine… made of non-stick steel predarkened … for about $18 (US)… at Amazon .. I’m not responsible for any differences in price or product quality… I don’t get paid to refer you… I just thought I’d give you an idea of where to get it and about how much they are.

I mix the batter in a large bowl using a wire whisk… do not over beat the batter… just whisk until smooth and no lumps… whisk in each egg separately.

This recipe makes 6 large popovers.

I hope you try making these.. they're so easy and so delicious!






Recipe: Popovers

All you need:

1 ¼ cup whole milk
½ teaspoon salt
1 ¼ cup flour
3 large eggs

All you need to do:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Add the milk, flour and salt to a large bowl and whisk until smooth and no lumps.

Add the eggs, one at a time…whisking the egg in after each addition.

Note: My tin does not require greasing … if you are using a pan that does need it… then generously grease it so the popovers don’t stick.

Fill the muffin tin ¾ full.

Bake at 425 degrees F for 20 minutes.

Reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees F and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.

Turn out onto a cooling rack.

Serve hot with butter.

1 comment:

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

adding a popover tray to my must have list of kitchen gadgets

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup