Recipe: Sweet and Sour Sauce


I wanted to make a stir fry with chicken and pineapple… and decided on my other vegetable ingredients and also decided I wanted to use a Sweet and Sour Sauce… which I was sure I had… so searching through an overloaded … too small fridge I went… and darn it I couldn’t find it… so I figured I’d make it from scratch…

I found a recipe in my file from a long time ago… origin unknown…… I seem to remember getting it from someone at a past job… can’t for the life of me remember who….and I had all the ingredients … as well as a couple that I wanted to put in there.

Just as I was taking the ketchup out of the fridge… I noticed… the darn Sweet and Sour Sauce I had been looking for… right in the front.. go figure… I looked at the label for a list of the ingredients… and everything I was going to use was in there…. well except for preservatives…… so I decided to make it from scratch…

It was so easy… which.. in the deep recesses of my memory… I do recall it being an easy recipe… I have no idea why I stopped making it… it really is easy…… so I don’t think I’ll be buying it again anytime soon.

TIPS

I used Worcestershire sauce… I have used soy sauce with a lot of luck in the past… just use about 1 teaspoon in place of the Worcestershire sauce…..

I usually use rice vinegar… it tastes milder than regular white vinegar… but I didn’t have any on hand… either will do… you may need to adjust the sugar amount a bit to your taste by adding a bit more.

To avoid lumps… mix the cornstarch with a little pineapple juice before adding it into the rest of the ingredients.

This made enough to fill a small bowl… in case you want to use it for a dipping sauce… if you use it like I did for a stir fry… this was enough when using about a pound of cut up chicken breasts… if you use more chicken… double the recipe and add as needed to your dish… store any leftovers in the fridge.






PRINT RECIPE

Recipe: Sweet and Sour Sauce

All you need:

1 can (6 oz.) pineapple juice
¼ cup ketchup
¼ cup packed brown sugar
¼ cup white vinegar or rice vinegar
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons apricot preserves
2 tablespoons cherry juice (from a bottle of cherries)
½ teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon garlic powder
1 ½ tablespoons cornstarch

All you have to do:

Mix all ingredients in a small sauce pan… heat over medium heat until desired thickness. Whisking frequently.

2 comments:

Farmgirl Cyn said...

I did the same thing last year when I couldn't find any sweet and sour sauce in the fridge. Googled it and came up with a recipe similar to yours and voila! Never will buy the stuff again!

Chicagolandia said...

I love your posts! I'm too cheap to buy the store-bought sweet and sour sauce, so this will be great!

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup