Recipe: Cheese Filled Crepes


This recipe for the Cheese Filling to these crepes has been in my family for … well… I guess generations… my grandmothers (both sides) made it. I was the one to start using the filling for crepes and blintzes (that will be another post).

TIPS

The recipe uses Farmer Cheese… which can be difficult to find… it usually is in most stores close to Passover. You can check the dairy section (by the sour cream and cream cheeses) or in the gourmet cheese section… if you can’t find it… ask your grocery manager about it. The only brand I have ever seen is Friendship.

Farmer cheese has zero carbs (just thought I’d note that for you carb counters)… and is sweeter and more compact than cottage cheese… it really makes this recipe as good as it is. Allow the Farmer Cheese to sit out of the fridge for about 15 minutes before mixing the filling.

To make crepes… see my Crepes post… and also Crepe Making Tips.

This recipe will make about 6 crepes… figure two per person, depending on the size of the crepe. I usually double the recipe.

These can be made in advance… make the crepes and then reheat them in a warm oven (on an oven proof plate covered in foil)or in the microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute on HIGH or until they are warm (covered with a piece of waxed paper)...time in the microwave depends on how many you are reheating at a time... make sure they are separated by a piece of waxed paper so they don’t stick together. The filling should be brought to room temperature before filling the crepes.

This is a truly outstanding filling for crepes… makes for a wonderful breakfast.

You can serve it plain or add a topping… in the picture I used blueberry pie filling… cherry pie filling goes well too… I also like to serve it with thawed frozen strawberries in light syrup…. and a shot of whipped cream….

You won’t have leftovers… trust me on this one!






PRINT RECIPE

Recipe: Cheese Filled Crepes

All you need:


Crepes
1 package (7.5 ounces) Farmer Cheese
¾ cup sour cream
¼ cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
Pie filling for topping (optional)


All you need to do:

Make your crepes and stack them with waxed paper between each so they won’t stick to each other.

In a medium bowl mix the filling ingredients until well incorporated.

Fill each crepe with about ¼ cup filling (amount will vary with the size of the crepe…and how much of a cheese lover the eater is…use your judgment).

Fold the sides over the filling… and top with pie filling if desired.

9 comments:

Ashley said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kristen said...

Is there anything else you could use if you can't find Farmer's Cheese? Just wondering because I love crepe recipes and this looks delicious

Anonymous said...

I'll be looking for Farmer's Cheese my next trip to the market. Thanks for this recipe.

Linda said...

Hi Kristen...

you could substitute cottage cheese... but you would have to line a strainer with cheese cloth and put the cottage cheese on the cheese cloth.... then take the ends of the cheese cloth and twist to get a lot of the moisture out.... it would prpbably be the closest to Farmer's cheese...

Farmer's cheese has a mild milk flavor...

Ricotta might also be an okay substitute... but the consistency and flavor really are different

My suggestion is to first talk to your grocery manager... they may hae it and you just don't know where they stock it...

If that doesn't work... go to the Friendship Dairies web site... they have a listing of stores that carry it...

Good Luck!

Linda said...

Lea Ann...

you will love these...

Kat said...

We used to eat I guess what you would call poor man's crepes. My mom used to make them for all of us kids when we were young and I made them for my kids. I knew no other filling for crepes until I went to a brunch years ago that you could put something beside jelly in them!! We had them for breakfast often. There were never any left with 7 of us!

Linda said...

Kat... you too???!

We had them filled with jelly lots of times... I assume that was borne out of the depression... my grandparents made them that way too...

My grandmother's family was from the Alsace region... so we have a lot of French influences... as well as German... she called them... what can be loosely translated as "thin pancakes" and she always filled them with jelly... it wasn't until I learned to make them as a teen... and looked in my Mom's Gourmet cookbook did I learn about other fillings... and also we had a wonderful restaurant nearby called the Magic Pan... I've posted recipes that I think are close to what they served

Travis Millet said...

Delicious! I didn't have farmer's cheese and was making this on a whim so I just used cream cheese. They're quite similar as far as cheeses go in my mind and it made my wife's and mother-in-laws mother's day.

Linda said...

Fabulous! Yes... farmers cheese has a taste similar to cream cheese... but the consistency of cottage cheese or ricotta... so glad you made their day!

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup