Italian Wedding Soup



This easy-to-make Italian Wedding Soup is hearty enough to serve as a meal… and it’s a lighter version using chicken meatballs instead of beef or pork meatballs.
I posted the Italian Chicken Sausage Meatballs a few days ago.. here is the quick and easy recipe.. the post has a lot of tips.. so definitely check it out.
This is a slight variation of the Barefoot Contessa recipe… the base soup is traditional and not unique to her… she does add fresh dill to her soup… which I don’t.. I don’t care for that addition.  The Italian Chicken Sausage Meatball recipe is where I varied her recipe slightly.
I only gave the link to the meatball recipe because I have a number of tips that I think are really helpful and this recipe post would get too long with those too… follow the link .. you won’t be sorry.
TIPS
The recipe calls for chicken stock.. you can sub chicken broth.. but the flavor won’t be as hearty.
The quantity of broth is flexible… I wrote the recipe for cups…. If you don’t use homemade chicken stock… then round the amount off to match what you have on hand for commercial stock or broth…
While I’m talking about stock/broth quantities… I want to warn you… I made a big pot of soup… we loved it.. had it for supper… but … we had leftovers… we love leftovers…makes a great second night meal …but… the tiny pasta (I used orzo) and the meatballs absorbed some of the stock… so I needed to add more stock when I made the leftovers…. Not really a problem… the meatballs became even more wonderful…. so if you plan on leftovers.. be sure to have some more broth or stock on hand.
This recipe uses fresh spinach.. yes.. I know that isn’t traditional… but most people prefer it… I know I do.
I chopped the onion and garlic together in my mini chopper… everything is finely diced and nicely mixed, it’s quick and easy.
For the wine, I used an inexpensive sauvignon blanc.
Make the meatballs ahead… and freeze them.. then you have it ready when want to make this soup.. which comes together really fast. 
Here is the link to the Italian Chicken Sausage Meatball recipe… you can make any meatball recipe you prefer… make sure to make them small though…
Definitely try the soup with the Italian Chicken Sausage Meatball recipe.. it’s fabulous in this soup… really adds so much flavor.
I hope you try this delicious recipe.






Recipe:  Italian Wedding Soup
All you need:
10 cups chicken stock or broth *See TIPS
½ cup white wine *See TIPS
1 medium onion, finely diced
2 large garlic cloves, finely diced
1 cup fresh carrots, diced
2 celery stalks, finely diced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup orzo
About ¾ of a bag (9 oz bag)  of fresh spinach
Grated Romano and Parmesan cheese
All you need to do:
In a large soup pot, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium high heat.  Add the onions, garlic, carrots and celery.  Cook until the onions are soft… stir frequently and don’t let the onions and garlic brown… if they start to brown, lower the heat slightly.
Add the stock and white wine …. Bring to a boil.  Add the pasta and meatballs and simmer until the pasta is soft, about 5 minutes.   Add spinach and stir until the spinach is soft. 
Serve with grated cheese.

No comments:

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup