Easy Skillet Meal Tips


 
I don't know about you... but weeknights are hectic... and trying to put a supper on the table that's tasty and interesting in a short amount of time becomes a challenge... skillet meals really help save time and are really good and can be good for you...
I post a lot of skillet meals... and probably make about 10 times more than I post... I'm often asked how I create my skillet meals.... so I thought I would post some tips that may help you create your own skillet dishes...
Many of the tips have just evolved over the years... some from friends and family... some things I read here and there... and some just come to me in what I call "duh" moments.. you know those moments when you think of something and the next moment think... now why didn't I think of that sooner.
Today is a good day for this post... I just threw some chicken breasts in the slow cooker aka crock pot... to cook ... what am I going to use them for... not entirely sure.. I have a couple of appetizer recipes I'm working on ... some dip recipes.. finger foods... well we shall see how it ends up...
So let's get started...
TIPS
Chicken... I love boneless chicken breasts... so versatile ... great for the slow cooker... as a start for a skillet meal.... just throw in.. frozen and all... with some chicken broth... add some spices and set on low... after about 4 hours.. they're ready to dice....after about 6 hours they should be ready to shred.. so many recipes start with "cooked chicken".. and many recipes suggest rotisserie chicken... not a cheap option... and not as fat free as cooking it yourself in a slow cooker. 
I like to cook the chicken in a slow cooker as opposed to the oven.. it's far moister.. and so easy.. I don't have to watch it... such a time saver.
I buy my chicken breasts when they go on sale.. and freeze them in freezer bags of 1, 2 and 3 breasts... this way I have a variety for a variety of meals... smaller amounts for soup... medium amounts for casseroles... and larger amounts as the main ingredient... it also depends on the amount of people you're feeding..
You can also cut the breasts into your own chicken tenders... and freeze them that way.. another great skillet meal ingredient.
Ground Beef.... so many skillet meals start with ground beef.... freeze it in freezer bag packages of 1 to 1 1/2 pounds... a great starter to skillet meals...put it in the bags and press it flat.. it's easier to store in the freezer by stacking the bags.... forget to take out the meat to thaw in the fridge?... no problem... place it in a large bowl of cold water... yes... cold water... it should thaw fairly quickly... while you set the table.. and prepare other ingredients for your skillet meal...
Sausage... Italian, Polish, Cajun... the list goes on and on...all great additions to a skillet meal... stock the freezer!
Rice and Pasta ... I always have them on hand... I store some basic pasta shapes (think elbows and rotini) in jars... I have rice jars (brown and white) as well.... easy additions to a skillet meal.  I try to plan ahead at least a little bit... if I make a pasta meal... I make a bit extra so I have it already cooked to add to a skillet meal in a day or two.
Frozen veggies... I always have the freezer stocked with a variety of veggies... spinach, broccoli, mixed veggies, carrots, peas and mixture varieties.... these always can make a meal complete..
Canned Tomatoes... I live by these... truly.. I use them in so many things... they're a great addition to a stir fry... I use plain, seasoned.. Mexican... so many varieties...
Sauces... small cans of tomato sauce (8 oz sizes work well).. have them in your pantry... it's an easy addition that can be adjusted with seasonings, herbs, cheese... and while I'm not so much a fan of powdered sauce and gravy mixes ... I'm talking Knorr sauces or gravy mixes.. they do come in handy for a last minute substitute when I don't have time to make something from scratch.
Seasoning mixes... I make my own seasoning mixes from scratch.. Fajita, Taco, Cajun... to name a few.. I keep them in jars.... I use them constantly in my skillet meals...
Fresh veggies... the start of a great stir fry begins with veggies... when you do your shopping.. think ahead... mushrooms, zucchini, summer squash, onions, green onions, potatoes, fresh spinach, kale... and plum tomatoes are almost always in stores looking good... all are great choices... and don't forget fresh herbs... parsley, basil and chives all last pretty well and are fabulous in skillet meals...
Stock your kitchen.... with a few good cooking wines .. nothing expensive... Yellow Tail comes to mind... a white sauvignon blanc, a cabernet sauvignon, a dry Marsala.... broths and stocks... they will be invaluable.
I probably didn't tell you anything you didn't already know... I just made a list for you to think about... now go forth and experiment.... here's a couple of quick examples..
Start with a little olive oil... chopped fresh veggies.. maybe some zucchini, summer squash, sweet onion... maybe some minced garlic.... add some cooked chicken... add a can of diced tomatoes... some chopped basil... chopped parsley... Italian seasoning.. a shot of white wine... some cooked pasta... sprinkle some fresh grated Parmesan cheese... and you have supper!  Add some fresh bread... a side salad... and you can have a five star meal in under 30 minutes...
Another version of this.... start with some Italian Sausage... already cooked ahead of time gets you ahead of the prep... not thinking ahead... okay... pierce the skin of the sausage link with a fork... par boil it for about 10 minutes... remove from the water.. allow to cool a bit.. slice it up.. and throw it in the skillet... cook it a bit until almost cooked completely... throw fresh veggies in... some minced garlic... canned tomatoes... some Italian seasoning... shot of white wine... then the cooked pasta... done!

No comments:

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup