Banana Buttermilk Coffee Cake


Over-ripe bananas on the counter begging to be used.... a very common occurrence in our house.... and a lot of times I don't have enough to make Banana Bread.... so I found this recipe from Martha Stewart that needs only 2 ripe bananas... perfect!
Buttermilk is the other ingredient I was looking for.. I love to bake with buttermilk... the results are so light ... the texture is really the best.
This is a very easy and quick recipe.... and really good!
TIPS
I followed the recipe with a few slight exceptions.  I mixed the wet ingredients a little differently... personal preference .. I like to make sure everything is evenly mixed.
And for the topping... I didn't use my fingers to mix the topping.. I tried... but it wasn't going well.. so I switched to a fork.. honestly I think the fork works better.. so that's how I listed it here.
I use a wire whisk to mix the dry ingredients so the everything is evenly mixed together.
About the bananas.. I can't stress this enough... make sure they are OVER-RIPE....  the peels on mine are black.... the bananas become very soft which is great for mixing.. and they are actually more flavorful.
If you don't have buttermilk... you can substitute plain yogurt or milk (same quantity as buttermilk is listed)... but.. in my opinion... buttermilk is best.
If you have leftovers and cover it with plastic wrap the crunch top will soften.. still delicious.. just not crunchy.
I hope you try this wonderful recipe.







Recipe:  Banana Buttermilk Coffee Cake
All you need:
For the Cake:
2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
1 (8 tablespoons) stick butter, melted
1/2 cup buttermilk, divided
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 ripe bananas, mashed
For the Topping:
1/4 cup flour
1/4 brown sugar
1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) butter
All you need to do:
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
Grease a 9 x 13 pan and set aside.
For the Cake:
In a large mixing bowl mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar.  Add the melted butter and mix until it's moist.  Add 1/4 cup of buttermilk and stir.
In a separate bowl, lightly beat the eggs.  Add the remaining 1/4 cup buttermilk and vanilla to the eggs and lightly beat with a fork.  Add it to the flour mixture.  Add the mashed bananas and beat for about a minute.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
For the Topping:
Mix the flour and the brown sugar evenly (I use a wire whisk).   Add the butter and use a fork to mix it in.  Crumble the topping over the batter. 
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

No comments:

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup