Recipe: Fried Apples


Another fantastic Southern tradition... Fried Apples.  I admit when I first heard about Fried Apples I turned my nose up... what??? Fry something that is good for you and ruin it??? Boy was I ever wrong!

First of all.. there is very little fat in frying apples...  it's more of a cross between chunky applesauce and pie filling... and mind you.. I am not complaining.. it's delicious!
TIPS
I used Golden Delicious apples... you can use Granny Smiths if you prefer it a little more tart.
The quantities are approximate.. you need to adjust them to your personal tastes.. use them as a guide.
I always have apple juice in a six-pack of small bottles.. I find they're the perfect size... I don't waste anything... and I always have juice on hand in case I run out of OJ.
You can use water instead of apple juice.
Whether or not you even need juice or water will depend on how much juice comes out of your apples.  You may not need it at all.
This is quick and easy... great as a side dish ... would be a wonderful side dish for a Thanksgiving meal... leftovers are great on waffles the next morning!

 




Recipe:  Fried Apples
All you need:
4 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
2 tablespoons butter
1/3 - 1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons apple juice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
All you have to do:
In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium high heat.
Add the apple slices and cook until soft but not mushy.
Add the apple juice (optional...see TIPS), brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.  Stir well to evenly coat the apples.  Cook until the sugar melts.
Serve warm or cold.

No comments:

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup