Recipe: Thousand Island Dressing


My Mother made Thousand Island Dressing all the time while I was growing up… in fact … when I was first married my hubby went to buy some and I was horrified that he would even consider buying it and not make it…. it’s quick and easy and so much better than the bottled stuff.

Thousand Island Dressing is similar to Russian Dressing.. it also has mayo, chili sauce, shallot and sweet pickle relish… but that’s where the similarities end… Russian has more zing … Thousand Island has a milder flavor.

I know there are lots of variations.. this one is ours… I’ve tweaked it a bit from my Mother’s version… with the addition of sweet pickle relish and pimentos…

TIPS

I usually use two hard boiled eggs when I make this quantity… you can use only one if you prefer.

I use a shallot because of the mild taste… if you don’t have a shallot.. you can substitute onion.. but I would try and use a sweet onion…. You will need about 1-2 tablespoons of chopped onion.

It’s great on salads and sandwiches…

Although it tends to be a bit runny for a spread on a sandwich… try it anyway… just make sure you put it in the middle of the bread… it probably will still seep out the sides… but it really is so good.. it’s worth the sticky fingers.






Recipe: Thousand Island Dressing

All you need:

1 cup Hellman’s Mayo
2 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
½ cup Heinz Chili Sauce
1 medium sized shallot, finely chopped
2 tablespoons chopped pimento
1 heaping tablespoon sweet pickle relish
Salt and white pepper to taste

All you need to do:

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl.

Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour or until needed.

No comments:

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup