Recipe: Noodle Kugel


Years ago when I was working in a local department store shoe department, I worked with two women who were fantastic cooks… Ida and Shirley… well.. Ida and Shirley would bring in Noodle Pudding.. aka Noodle Kugel.. fairly often too… I have no idea how I managed to stay thin back then… Noodle Kugel is positively addicting!

The recipe is fairly simple… there are many variations … but the basic recipe is the one I’m posting today. Some people like it very sweet … others … not so much… some people add fruit… some add raisins. I’ve kept the recipe as close as I could to how I remembered Ida and Shirley’s … that wonderful treat they would bring in to work for us.

TIPS

I used my standing mixer because I think it’s just easier that way… you can use a hand mixer … or mix it by hand.. I like my pudding creamy … some people like to keep the lumps of cottage cheese in there.. it really is up to you and what you prefer.

You can use either small or large curd cottage cheese.

I give a range of sugar amounts… I use ½ cup of sugar.. it’s sweet but not overly sweet… if you prefer your desserts sweet… then use ¾ of a cup.

I recommend you use the real deal when it comes to the ingredients… real butter, 4% fat cottage cheese and regular sour cream… you won’t be sorry… it just makes the pudding so much better.

The easiest way to mix the noodles with the pudding mixture is to dump everything back into the pot you boiled the noodles in… it’s easy and one less bowl to clean.

I sprinkle Cinnamon Sugar over the top… I keep my own blend in a small jar… you can use a commercial blend.. or make your own… making your own is simple and so much cheaper… click the link for my recipe.

I hope you try this wonderful Jewish dessert!






PRINT RECIPE

Recipe: Noodle Kugel

All you need:

1 pkg. (8 oz.) extra wide noodles
4 tablespoons butter, melted
2 cups cottage cheese
2 cups sour cream
½ - ¾ cup sugar *see TIPS
6 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¾ cup raisins
Cinnamon Sugar
Cooking Spray, butter flavor preferred

All you need to do:

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking oil spray and set it aside.




Boil the noodles for 4 minutes and drain.









In a large mixing bowl, using the wire whisk attachment, beat the eggs lightly.

Add the vanilla, cottage cheese, sour cream, and cinnamon. Mix at low speed until well mixed.

Add the melted butter and continue to mix for a minute.




Add the noodles back into the pot you cooked them in.

Add the raisins and mix well.

Add the pudding mixture and mix well.





Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish.

Sprinkle the top with the cinnamon Sugar.

Place dish on a foil lined baking sheet (to prevent any spillage from getting into your oven).


Bake at 375 degrees for 35-45 minutes (mine took 45 minutes) or until pudding is set and the top is golden brown.

No comments:

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup