Recipe: Spicy Ranch Dressing


This Spicy Ranch Dressing is a variation of my Buttermilk Ranch Dressing… a few added spices to add a bit of zip… perfect for everything from salads to veggies dippers and more.

Homemade dressings are not only easy.. but you can also control what is and isn’t in your food. .. and much like my seasoning recipes.. you control the heat.

TIPS

Use my quantities as a guide… my dressing has a bit of zip… so if you like a lot of zip.. start with my quantities and taste it… then add additional spices to your taste.

Measure the buttermilk, mayo and sour cream to the recipe… don’t make the same mistake as I’ve done before… not careful with the measuring.. it will get the ratio out of balance and the taste will be off.

I used McCormick Hot Mexican-Style Chili Powder… you should be able to find it in the grocery store. You can substitute any chili powder of your choice.

I “sprinkled” the cayenne over the top… twice… I suggest you start with that and go from there when adding more heat.

I used chives.. I like the light onion flavor… if you have to substitute something for the chives… finely chopped shallots would be my first choice… about the same quantity as the chives are listed as.

Whole milk buttermilk does give the best flavor and texture… you can use a lower fat buttermilk but the taste will be slightly different…. same goes for the sour cream.

Substituting another brand of mayo for the Hellman’s mayo will change the taste as well. I would not recommend using Miracle Whip.

I like to use white pepper instead of black pepper, if you don’t have it, you can substitute black pepper for it.

Once you try homemade salad dressings you won’t go back to store bought.






Recipe: Spicy Ranch Dressing

All you need:

1 cup whole milk buttermilk
2/3 cup Hellman’s Real Mayonnaise
2/3 cup sour cream
1 ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
1 ¼ teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
1 ½ teaspoon paprika
1 ½ teaspoon chili powder
Dash of cayenne
About 5 drops hot sauce
Salt to taste
White pepper to taste

All you need to do:

Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl. Whisk until smooth.

2 comments:

Kat said...

Must be time for me to start making my own dressings. I have seen several articles about this. I like your take on it and will give it a try. Thanks.

monikabc said...

thank you, Linda.

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup