Recipe: Baked Garlic Cheese Grits


This recipe is adapted slightly from Paula Deen of the Food Network…. The only change I made was that I used actual shredded cheddar cheese and she used Velvetta... the change was an inadvertant mistake (see further in the post for an explanation) that I think turned out well...

In any case, I found it on their website… and decided to try it… I love Cheese, I love Garlic and, as you now know, I love Grits… so what could go wrong?... Absolutely nothing… they are wonderful. I actually had to get up from the table so I wouldn’t overeat… they’re that good.

This recipe is another alternative to serving a Cheese Strata (see previous recipe) or potatoes.. it will go very well with sausage, ham or bacon… or whatever you plan on serving. It also goes very well as a side dish to a main meal.

I did make a few changes when I made them… (did you expect anything less?)….the recipe below is as Paula wrote it.

I didn’t see her episode, I just found the recipe… it doesn’t have a picture so I had to go on what was written…. I used cheddar cheese… the recipe called for it to be cubed… but it was to be cooked and incorporated into the grits , so I used shredded cheese instead… it worked great.

Here’s the kicker… it wasn’t until after I made them that I read the comments… apparently.. in the episode she used Velveeta (hence the cubes)…. The recipe doesn’t say that….As a cheese lover/devotee… I would still recommend using the shredded cheese.. it mixes well and melts quickly…. and I think the texture and taste of the cheese is better.

Paula’s recipe says it serves 12… judging by what I made… I’d say that was about accurate… assuming that you serve this with a meat and a type of egg dish (for breakfast) or if you plan on serving as a side dish to a main meal entre. If you plan on making this for a buffet… you probably will have plenty of other foods, so I still think it would be enough.

Her recipe also indicates you need 4 quart casserole dish…. If I make the full recipe again.. I will use a 9 x 13 glass baking dish…. It provides a larger surface area for the cheese on top to harden and brown up a bit… the top tasted great ….remember I love cheese… with a 9 x 13 glass baking dish..I will use the full 8 oz. for the cheese on top… with a smaller baking dish… I wouldn’t use that much.. about ½ is enough… you want it cheesy but not oily and sticky.

I cut the recipe in half… since I didn’t need this recipe for a crowd…. It worked great… I would half everything including the salt... keep the pepper amount the same … and leave the garlic amount the same… remember I like garlic… start with half… then taste it… and adjust according to your taste…. If you think this will make too much… remember leftovers are great.

Okay… one last thing… when making the full recipe…I feel her recipe needs more garlic… we love garlic and I tasted the grits before going in the oven and thought the garlic wasn’t evident enough… and use less cheese on the top … use shredded cheese and put enough on to completely cover it… don’t pile it on.

OOPS… one more thing… I used a 3 qt saucepan and mine is non-stick… I use a whisk that’s coated for use with non-stick pans… if you have these… it would be ideal… grits can be sticky and stick to the bottom of the pan… the non-stick pan worked out perfectly.

You really need to try these.






Baked Garlic Cheese Grits Recipe:

All you need:

6 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
2 cups regular grits
16 oz. Cheddar cheese, cubed (I used shredded)
½ milk
4 large eggs, beaten
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
8 oz grated sharp white Cheddar (I used regular orange Cheddar)

All you need to do:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Grease (I used butter flavored cooking spray) a 4 quart casserole dish.

Bring the broth, salt, pepper and garlic powder to a boil in a 2 qt (I used a 3 qt) saucepan. Stir in the grits and whisk until completely combined.

Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the grits are thick, about 8 to 10 minutes. (mine cooked in about 6 minutes…. for those non-grit making people… the consistency is like thick porridge)

Add the cubed (or shredded) Cheddar and milk and stir.

Gradually add in eggs and butter (TIP: cut the butter into tablespoon slices.. it will melt faster)… stir until all are combined.

Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish.

Sprinkle the top with the grated/shredded white Cheddar.

Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until set. (Unless your oven is significantly off… 40 minutes is accurate… make sure top doesn’t brown too much)...I actually prefer to see the melted cheese on top and I don't let mine brown.

No comments:

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup