Slow Cooker Pork Roast with Apples and Onions


 
I love my crock pot… slow cooker.. whatever you want to call it… is fine with me!  As far as I’m concerned it is one of the most ingenious inventions.. a true time saver for the busy cook.
I must have hundreds of recipes.. and they are all better than the next….
I usually roast my pork roasts in the oven… but this time I decided to try using the crock pot instead.  I was more than happy with the results.
TIPS
I usually make a boneless pork roast… this one had bones (you know the kind.. the ones the butcher cuts to make bone-in pork chops).  I honestly prefer the boneless pork loin roasts… but this one came out delicious.  Use which ever cut you prefer.
I have a 5 quart crock pot that has a non-stick metal “crock” so it was super easy to brown the sides of the roast on the stove and then set-up the crock pot for slow cooking… if you don’t have one like this, don’t be tempted to skip searing the roast before starting the crock pot.  In my opinion it helps keep the juices in the roast for a really tender and moist piece of meat.
I used 3 fairly large apples… you can use any type you prefer… I used a slightly sweet apple.. varieties available differ in different parts of the country… so choose one that you like that’s available near you… you can use Granny Smith apples if you prefer a more tart flavor.
The cinnamon is just sprinkled… so I didn’t list any specific quantity… the same for the garlic powder, onion powder salt and pepper… I wouldn’t suggest being too heavy handed unless you love cinnamon… use just enough to produce a light flavor.
The honey is drizzled over the roast… I approximated the amount… use your judgment …
I keep small bottles of apple juice on hand… they’re perfect to use in recipes.. this is an example of one of those recipes… I used about ½ -3/4 of a cup … not quite the whole little bottle.  You want moisture to cook the roast and also for the sauce after.
You can make this with or without onions… I used yellow onions and there was little onion flavor in the final sauce… but it was delicious so I use them…
Cooking times will vary depending on the size roast, bone-in or boneless and how hot your crock pot runs.  My roast was 3 ½ pounds, bone-in, my crock pot runs pretty much average (I have another crock pot that runs hot so this one is pretty much as it should be) and I cooked it on high for a little more than 4 ½ hours.  The high setting cooked it with a little simmer along the edges.  The roast was moist and tender but did not fall apart.  I hope this helps you decide how to gauge it. 
You can use an instant read thermometer to check if the meat is done.   It should have an internal temperature of 145 degrees F.  Make sure you are putting the thermometer in the middle and the prong is not hitting the bone (if the roast has a bone).
I served this with mashed sweet potatoes and string beans… a truly wonderful dinner with little work.
I hope you try it!







 
Recipe:  Slow Cooker Pork Roast with Apples and Onions
All you need:
3-4 pound pork roast
2 tablespoons olive oil
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Salt
Pepper
½ - ¾ cup apple juice
3 apples, cored, peeled and thickly sliced
2 medium onions, cut in half then thickly sliced
About 2 tablespoons honey * See TIPS
1 ½ tablespoons brown sugar
Cinnamon
1 tablespoon cornstarch
All you have to do:
Heat the olive oil over medium high heat in either a Dutch oven, large skillet or the crock pot if you have one that is metal and can be used on the stove top.
Pat the roast dry with paper towel and sprinkle all sides with garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper.   Sear the meat on all sides to a light brown.
If you used a separate pan to sear the roast, place the meat in your crock pot fat side up.  Add the apple juice then the sliced apples and onions. (I layered ½ the apples then the onions then the remaining apples).  Drizzle the honey over the roast. Then sprinkle the cinnamon and brown sugar over the roast and apples.
Cook on high for 4 ¼ to 5 hours or 6-7 hours on low or until the internal temp is 145 degrees F.  *** Read my tips for determining how long to cook your roast.  
Remove the roast to a cutting board and cover loosely with foil, allowing it to rest while you finish the sauce.
To make the sauce, remove the liquid from the crock pot to a sauce pan. Add the cornstarch and cook over medium high heat, whisking until the cornstarch is fully incorporated and the sauce has thickened to your liking… add additional apple juice if needed (I did not need to).  Remove the sauce from the heat and add the apples and onions from the crock pot.
Slice the roast and serve on a platter with some sauce over it.
I also serve additional sauce in a bowl on the table.

 

No comments:

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup