Sausage Egg and Cheese Breakfast Eggrolls


Breakfast Eggrolls…. it just came to me one day… I was in the grocery store.. and I was picking up egg roll wrappers for my Southwestern Eggrolls…. and it just came to me…. Why not stuff them with breakfast stuff? 
Out of mild curiosity… I Googled it when I got home (Google is my friend.. I search everything with Google)… anyway.. lo and behold.. I guess I’m not the genius I thought I was… others have thought of it too… ah well… I decided to make my Breakfast Eggrolls … and share my “invention” with my readers.
This wasn’t rocket science… I just made my fillings..allowed them to cool and then assembled my egg rolls.
TIPS
I don’t like to fry.. it’s messy and for the most part unhealthy…. although I do fry some things.. I do go out of my way to find an acceptable alternative…. And this was one of them… I baked them… it’s easier and not as fatty.
I did brush these with melted butter.. okay not totally healthy.. but better than deep frying them…. You can also spray them with cooking oil spray instead…. I’d recommend you use a butter flavored spray.
Allow your ingredients to cool before assembling the egg rolls… handling hot filling is not easy…
What makes this recipe so good.. you can make the filling ahead… even the night before… in fact.. you can assemble them ahead too…
You will need to add a little to the baking time if they’re assembled ahead.. you want the centers to be hot…. But probably not more than about 3-4 minutes… they get pretty hot as it is…
Which brings me to the next tip… these will get very hot… you will want them to stand for about 10 minutes before attempting to eat them.. otherwise ouch!
When you assemble them.. make sure you spread the filling out in a long cylinder shape… otherwise you end up with a few that looked like my first ones.. more square shaped than egg roll shaped.
Don’t worry about an odd shape or two… it takes a bit of practice to roll them.. they will taste just as good.
I highly recommend you use sliced cheese… not shredded.. shredded cheese gets all over the place and it really doesn’t get cheesy enough… use any sliced cheese.. cheddar, American, Monterey Jack…. they’re all very tasty.
I used 6 eggs to make the scrambled eggs…. It filled 10 egg rolls comfortably…. figure on 2-3 per person… depending on if they are big eaters or not… but at least 2 per person will be about average.
Speaking of the scrambled eggs… I made mine with some shredded cheese added… about ¼ cup… totally delicious!  I wouldn’t recommend much more than that.. otherwise they get too cheesy and they’re hard to make portions for the egg rolls.
I sprinkled the cooked sausage on top of the eggs when I assembled the egg rolls…. You can also just mix them in when you make the scrambled eggs… it will make it a bit easier when assembling the egg roll.
SUPER IMPORTANT tip…. Make sure you flip them over half way through baking.. mine got a bit dark on the bottom because I missed the halfway mark when I flipped mine…
These are great to even make ahead… store in the fridge and give them a quick nuke for a great breakfast on the go… however.. they won’t be as crispy as when they are made fresh… but they’re just as tasty!
This makes 10 egg rolls… need more?  Just make more eggs and sausage.. and fill ‘em as you need them.
Try this terrific breakfast … perfect for on the go!






Recipe:  Sausage Egg and Cheese Breakfast Egg Rolls
All you need:
6 eggs, beaten with dash of milk
¼ cup shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese (optional)
½ tube breakfast sausage, cooked and crumbled
10 slices cheese (any kind you prefer…American, cheddar etc)
10 egg roll wrappers
Water
2 tablespoons melted butter
All you need to do:
Make the scrambled eggs (with the optional shredded cheese or not…it’s up to you).  Set them aside and allow them to cool.
To assemble the egg rolls:



Place the egg roll wrapper in front of you… with a “point” facing you.. it will have a diamond shape.








Place a slice of cheese in the center.







On top of the cheese… in the middle place about ¼ cup scrambled eggs and some crumbled sausage. 


 
 



Shape the filling in a cylinder shape in the middle of the cheese.








Bring the bottom “point” of the egg roll wrapper up to cover the filling…







Then using a pastry brush, brush the side “points” of the wrapper with water. 







Fold the sides in…  brush the top “point” with water… and roll the egg roll up… (the water is to make the wrapper hold together).
























Tuck any filling back into the wrapper as you roll it so it resembles a cylinder.  Secure the loose ends with a bit of water from your pastry brush.




Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees.
Place on a non-stick baking sheet.   Once all the egg rolls have been assembled… brush all sides with melted butter.
Bake for 10 minutes ***Be sure to flip them over after 5 minutes.
Allow to cool for about 10 minutes then serve.

Here's a serving idea.... use egg whites for the scrambled eggs and turkey sausage for the filling....and serve with apple wedges for a healthy start of the day!

 

No comments:

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup