Easy Crockpot Cube Steak


Funny thing about recipes.. you can have a favorite recipe... and think you will never make that dish any differently... then one day you try a new way of making it.. and like it just as much....
My first post... almost 5 years ago was for a pot roast made in a crockpot.... I saw a recipe by the Campbell's kitchens and decided to try it.... we loved it.... and I declared that I would never make a pot roast any differently again.... well... I did.  I've made pot roasts since I was a teenager... and coming from the northeast.. it's almost a right of passage.. making the beloved New England Pot Roast... and they're all similar.. but just a little different... and they're all good.
I make cube steak in the crockpot.. a number of ways.. and they're all good... just a little different... depends on my mood.. depends on what I have on hand.. and how much time I have to put it together....
So why am I telling you this?  ... Because that, my friend, is the essence of my blog... not just to give you recipes .. but to inspire you to venture out.. try new ways of making everyday dishes... I hope my tips help you, and not only give you ideas about ways to personalize dishes... but to adjust them to your liking and to ingredients you have.
So here goes...
TIPS
I didn't have time today to sear the meat in a skillet.. so I decided to use one of my "pot roast" methods... this recipe uses cream of mushroom soup.... and before you turn up your nose... let me tell you.. it really doesn't end up tasting like a canned soup.
One of the plusses of this soup.. is that it comes in a 98% fat free variety... so if your watching the fat in your diet.... this is a great way to thicken the gravy without adding fat.
If you really don't want to use the cream of mushroom soup... click here for my other recipe for Crockpot Cube Steak... you may like that one better.
As I mentioned before, I didn't sear the meat.. so you cut the prep time and the fat there too.
The recipe uses onion soup and dip mix... which can be a bit salty... I used 2 packets.. if you're ultra sensitive to salt.. then you may want to use only one.
If you don't have the dried soup and dip mix on hand... you can slice a medium to large onion and lay it on top of the meat and let it cook in the crockpot... I'd recommend you crush a beef bouillon cube and add it into the gravy...
If you like carrots and are home while this is cooking.. about 2 hours before it's done.. add sliced fresh carrots... if you use frozen... add the frozen ones about an hour before it's done.
I like mushrooms.. and honestly.. I forgot to add them this time... I usually use fresh sliced mushrooms.. add them about an hour before it's done.
I use low sodium beef broth... you can use beef stock.. if that's what you have.
My recipe makes enough gravy for 8 average pieces of cube steak.... I usually make only 4 and save the extra gravy for a meal later in the week... I like to use it with meatloaf.
Serve this dish with mashed potatoes and a vegetable.
I figure 2 slices of meat per person.
The meat is fork tender and absolutely delicious.. I hope you enjoy it!







Recipe:  Easy Crockpot Cube Steak
All you need:
8 slices cube steak
2 cans Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup
2 cups beef broth
1-2 packets dried onion soup and dip mix *See TIPS
1 pkg. (8 oz) fresh mushrooms, sliced (optional)
All you have to do:
In a medium bowl, mix together the cream of mushroom soup, dried onion soup and dip mix, and beef broth.  Stir until smooth.
Pour half of the soup mixture into the bottom of the crockpot.  Place the meat on top of the soup in the crockpot.  Pour the remaining soup mixture on top of the meat.
Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or 5-6 hours on high.  About an hour before it's done, add the sliced mushrooms to the crockpot.

No comments:

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup