Recipe: Sweet Potato Latkes


I've had some sweet potatoes in a bowl starring me down just waiting for me to use them... the usual sweet potato dishes just were not doing it for me.. so I decided to do a spin on my Potato Latke recipe... and Sweet Potato Latkes it was!
Loved them!... absolutely LOVED them!  They were quick and easy to make... and absolutely delicious!
TIPS
I peeled my sweet potatoes and shredded them with my processor... when I tell you it was quick and easy.. I'm not kidding... done in under a minute... no way I was going to stand there and shred them by hand.
I used shallots.. which I chopped in my mini chopper... another quick and easy task... you can use onions instead.. just remember the onion flavor will be stronger... (not necessarily a bad thing).
I used 1/3 cup flour.... just enough to coat my potatoes... in fact it was actually on the scant side.. which is okay... you don't want a batter... just enough gluten to hold the latkes together when they cook... the flour will seem to disappear after you toss the potatoes with it... again.. not a problem... trust me.
I used 2 large sweet potatoes... peeled, ends cut off... then shredded... it made about 8 good sized latkes... it would make about 12 small ones....
Although you could easily make a meal of these.. they are actually a side dish.. so this quantity should be about 4 servings.
As you can see from the picture.. I served them with a small dollop of sour cream and finished off with some snipped chives.  You could also use Greek yogurt..
Applesauce is another good accompaniment.
Try these ... they're a wonderful spin on the traditional potato latkes!





Recipe:  Sweet Potato Latkes
All you need:
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and shredded
3 large shallots, finely diced
1/3 cup flour
2 egg, lightly beaten
Sprinkling of salt and pepper
Butter and oil for frying
Sour cream
Snipped chives
All you have to do:
In a large bowl toss the shredded potatoes with the flour until coated evenly.

Add the onion, eggs, and salt. Stir to completely combine.

In a large heavy skillet, heat enough butter or oil over medium high heat until hot (enough to cover the bottom... about 1 tablespoon of each).  Add more as needed.

Drop large spoonfuls of the potato mixture into the hot butter/oil mixture.  (Cook in batches)

Press down on them to flatten into ¼ to ½ inch patties. 

Brown on one side, then turn and brown the other side.

Remove and place on paper towels to drain.

No comments:

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup