Recipe: 30 Minute Chili


I love making Chili in the fall and winter…. It just seems to go with the change in weather and colder temps.   I like to make it in my crockpot..  a big ole pot full… but sometimes..  I forget to set it up in the morning… so the 30 Minute Chili recipe is the one.

The recipe isn’t all that different from the crock pot version…  it is a smaller version… and I do add a small can of tomato sauce or tomato paste to help thicken it up quicker.

TIPS

As I mentioned…. I add tomato sauce… plain tomato sauce… I usually use Hunts… the small 8 oz. can.  I use tomato sauce if I’m serving the Chili in bowls and want it still a little runny.

I add tomato paste instead of tomato sauce.. if I want it thicker… if I plan on using it for Chili Dogs or if I’m serving it in bread bowls…  the bread bowls will get less soggy with a thicker Chili.

I use extra lean ground beef… 93/7%.. it’s a little more expensive but healthier.

If you use ground turkey instead of beef.. you will need to tinker with the spices,  ground turkey makes for a blander Chili.

For the canned tomatoes, I use one can (14.5 oz.) Del Monte Diced Tomatoes with Zesty Mild Green Chilies or one can (14.5 oz.) Del Monte Petite Cut Diced Tomatoes with Zesty Jalapenos… you can substitute any other canned tomatoes you prefer.

The downside of making Chili in a pot on the stove is you will need to watch it a bit more… and stir it occasionally … keep the heat on the low side.. you want a low simmer not a raging boil.

The recipe calls for one bell pepper… green, red, yellow or a combination… your choice.   I love to use a combination of the three…

 As with most recipes.. use this as a guide… adjust the seasoning to your taste.  We like a little zip to our Chili… this recipe is not too spicy… it should be okay for kids and adults that prefer it lightly spicy.   Sour cream as a condiment helps tone down the spice as well.

If you like your beans a bit softer… like it comes out from cooking in a crockpot…. after rinsing your beans, place them in a microwaveable dish and microwave them on high for about 6-8 minutes before adding them into the pot.

I hope you enjoy this quick and easy Chili!







Recipe:  30 Minute Chili

All you need:
1 pound extra lean ground beef
1 can kidney beans
1 can (14.5 oz) canned tomatoes with chilies*See TIPS
2 tablespoons plain tomato paste OR 1 can (8 oz.) plain tomato sauce *See TIPS
1 medium onion diced
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 bell pepper, diced *See TIPS
Pinch of red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon cumin
1 ½ teaspoons chili powder
¼ teaspoon cayenne or to taste
1 tablespoon paprika
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cornstarch
Shredded cheddar cheese for garnish
Chopped green onions for garnish
Sour cream for garnish

All you need to do:

Brown the ground beef in a medium to large pot until no longer pink.

Drain off any excess fat.

Add the remaining ingredients (except for garnishes).  Bring chili to a low boil.  Lower heat and cook at a steady simmer for 25 minutes.  Stir often.

Serve with garnishes.

No comments:

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup