Recipe: Hash Brown Casserole


This easy Hash Brown Casserole is a family favorite.. perfect for covered dish suppers.. it’s similar to the hash brown casserole they serve at Cracker Barrel.

TIPS

I tried sprinkling French’s Fried Onions on top for a crunchy topping.. I really don’t think it needs it but Warren liked it.. so I thought I would mention it as an option to consider.

This is not low fat by any means.. you can cut the fat a bit by using lower fat soup and sour cream… I personally go with the real deal with sour cream…

I sautéed the onions just a few minutes until they were translucent.. I don’t like crunchy onions in this recipe.

Next time you’re asked to bring a dish.. try this one.. there won’t be leftovers coming home.. for sure!






Recipe: Hash Brown Casserole

All you need:

1 bag (2 pound size) frozen shredded hash browns, thawed
1 bag (2 1/3 cup size) shredded Cheddar cheese
1 stick (1/2 cup or 8 tablespoons) butter
1 medium onion, finely diced
1 can (10.75 oz size) condensed cream of chicken soup
1 container (8 oz. size) sour cream
Sprinkling of salt and pepper

All you need to do:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large bowl mix the thawed potatoes and 2 cups of the shredded cheese (hand work the best).

In a medium skillet melt the butter and add the diced onions. Cook for a few minutes until onions are soft and translucent. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
In a medium bowl combine the soup and the sour cream.

Add the butter and onion mixture to the potatoes and cheese, mix well.

Add the soup and sour cream mixture and stir until evenly distributed. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/3 cup shredded cheese.

Put the mixture into a 9 x 13 baking dish (no need to grease the dish.. it won’t stick.. trust me).

Bake for 45 minutes or until lightly golden.

2 comments:

Kat said...

I love Cracker Barrel's hash brown casserole. I need to bookmark this recipe for when I have company. Thanks so much.

Linda said...

I haven't had cracker Barrel's hash brown casserole in a long time.. but from what I remember .. this is close.. in any case.. I hope you enjoy it!

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup