Recipe: Impossibly Easy Mini Apple Sausage and Cheddar Pies


I’ve managed to avoid the “Impossibly Easy Pies’ recipes by Bisquick… and I honestly can’t explain why… I recently came across one of the recipes and decided to make a variation of it… I like the combination of apple, breakfast sausage and cheese… and thought I’d give it a try… I was pleasantly surprised.. not only was it easy.. but pretty darn tasty.. it was a nice addition to our weekend breakfast… it went perfectly with some scrambled eggs.

I made a few changes from the Betty Crocker original recipe… the original had mushrooms.. I didn’t want mushrooms in this.. so I used a chopped apple instead. I didn’t add salt… I felt the sausage had more than enough salt in it. I also increased the baking mixture…

TIPS

Use whatever breakfast sausage is your favorite…

I used a Granny Smith apple… which did not have the strong apple flavor it has when it’s in season.. so the apple flavor was extremely light… but still apparent.

I did use a measuring spoon to measure the Baking mixture and a ¼ cup measuring cup to measure the Sausage mixture into the muffin tin… this way they were all exactly the same… and baked evenly.

I highly recommend you use a non-stick pan. I used mine and I still had a couple stick a little when I took them out of the pan. They didn’t leave too much off the bottom, so they looked fine.. but I just want to caution you that a non-stick pan AND spraying it with cooking oil is recommended.

Figure 2 mini pies per person or 6 servings.

I hope you try this super easy delicious mini pie…






Recipe: Impossibly Easy Mini Apple Sausage and Cheddar Pies

All you need:

Sausage Mixture:

¾ pound breakfast sausage
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and finely chopped
1 cup finely shredded Cheddar cheese
Butter flavored cooking oil spray

Baking Mixture:

¾ cup Original Bisquick mix
¾ cup milk
3 eggs, beaten

All you need to do:

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Spray 12 regular size muffin cups with the butter flavored cooking oil spray.

In a large skillet, cook the sausage and the onion until the sausage is no longer pink. Be sure to break up the sausage into small pieces. Drain off any excess grease.

In a large bowl, combine the cooked sausage and onion with the chopped apple and cheddar cheese.

In a medium bowl whisk the Baking Mixture ingredients until blended.

Measure 1 tablespoon of the Baking mixture into each muffin well.

Measure a ¼ cup of sausage mixture on top of the baking mixture in each muffin well.

Measure 2 tablespoons of baking mixture on top of the sausage mixture.

Bake 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Cool 5 minutes in the pan. Using a sharp knife, run around the sides of the muffin.

Turn out onto a rack.



No comments:

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup