Recipe: Slow Cooker Rice Pudding


This recipe for Slow Cooker Rice Pudding is adapted slightly from the recipe from the folks at Betty Crocker. You will not believe just how easy it is to make… and while it won’t replace my original rice pudding recipe … it makes a darn good rice pudding and with no effort… perfect for busy days.

The Betty Crocker recipe is called Slow Cooker Caramel Rice Pudding…. after making it and then reading their reviews… I agree with the reviewers… it does not have a caramel taste… but it is very good nonetheless…. But if you want a caramel flavor in your rice pudding.. this recipe is not for you.

TIPS

Quite a few reviewers complained the rice pudding was dry.. again.. I agree.. we prefer a creamier rice pudding…. so I added more evaporated milk about half way through cooking.

A few reviewers also said the pudding was sticky… again .. I agree… less cooking time will help with that… and I think what rice you use will also affect the stickiness… a starchy rice will produce a sticky result.

I also upped the amount of vanilla… I think it needed it… otherwise the original recipe was a bit bland.

I ended up using about 3 ½ cups of cooked rice because it was what I had…. so I changed the recipe accordingly.

Instead of sprinkling the cinnamon only on top.. I mixed it in.. we like the taste of cinnamon throughout the pudding.

We like a sweet rice pudding so I added 1 tablespoon of sugar about half way through cooking (I did a taste test).

This is truly an excellent quick and easy rice pudding for when you simply don’t have the time to cook one and stand there stirring… it cooks itself!






PRINT RECIPE

Recipe: Slow Cooker Rice Pudding

All you need:

3 ½ cups cooked rice
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 cans evaporated milk
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 tablespoon sugar (optional)

All you need to do:

Combine all ingredients (you can leave out the cinnamon at this point if you like and simply sprinkle it over the top later)in a slow cooker and set on low for 2 ½ - 3 hours … use the shorter time for a creamier consistency.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ive used this recipe two or three times and it works every time! I add raisins and I let the rice cook in the crock pot, like I don't cook it first.

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup