Recipe: Cappuccino Praline Bars


Are you a cappuccino lover? If you are… then these bar cookies are for you. These are easy to make… and are a great addition to a dessert or sweet tray. I cut most of mine into small, bite sized pieces so they would add to the variety of my holiday assortment. Of course… I did cut a few into typical “bar size” for my taste tester… who deemed them “pretty good” as he reached for another one…

This is a Betty Crocker recipe I found while searching for an old Cappuccino bar cookie recipe I have lost… while it wasn’t exactly what I was looking for.. I’m glad to have found it… it is delicious!

I made a few changes to the directions… nothing major… I added the espresso to the large mixing bowl and the other ingredients when making the crust not the other way around… and I beat the eggs a bit before mixing them with the other ingredients for the filling… I also noted a recommended change in pan size… see the tips below.

The original recipe called for butter or margarine.. I highly recommend you use butter… the flavor of the butter adds to this bar cookie.

TIPS

Definitely use espresso coffee granules… they are readily available in supermarkets… even Walmart… it’s not expensive and it really does add to the flavor of baked goods calling for it.

The recipe called for a 13 x 9 pan.. I used an 11 x 7 pan and I’m glad I did… these are thin bar cookies… I think a 13 x 9 pan would produce a bar cookie that is too thin… the 11 x 7 worked perfectly.

I always line my pans with non-stick foil… so they don’t stick… and they’re easy to lift out of the pan for easy cutting and clean-up. I did grease the foil as instructed in the recipe anyway to be sure they would come out easily.

When lining a pan with foil… shape the foil on the outer surface first.. then flip the pan over and place the foil in it … it makes getting the foil into those corners easier.

When pressing the crust into the pan… which can be a pain.. be patient and do it slowly.. it’s worth the trouble… to make it a bit easier.. when you dump the crust mixture in the pan.. try to spread it evenly over the bottom of the pan before starting to press it into the pan.

I hope you enjoy this delicious sweet treat!






PRINT RECIPE

Recipe: Cappuccino Praline Bars

All you need:

For the Crust:

1 teaspoon instant espresso coffee granules
2 teaspoons very hot water
½ cup (1 stick) butter
¾ cup sugar
1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup toffee bits (not chocolate covered)

For the Filling:

1 tablespoon instant espresso coffee granules
1 tablespoon very hot water
2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated)
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt

All you need to do:

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

Line a 13 x 9 or 11 x 7 pan (see tips…I recommend the 11 x 7 size) with foil.

Grease the sizes and bottom with shortening, then lightly flour it.

In a small cup, mix the espresso granules with the hot water.

Using a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter, sugar and espresso on medium speed until fluffy.

Lower the speed to low and gradually add the flour until well blended.

Press the mixture into the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle ½ cup of the toffee bits over the crust and gently press them into the crust.

Bake the crust for 15 to 17 minutes or until the edges are light golden brown. I did mine for 17 minutes… the color really didn’t change all that much… it turned a little darker and the color was all over not just at the edge… also remember I used the 11 x 7 size pan.

Meanwhile, mix the espresso for the filling with the hot water. Set aside.

In a mixer bowl beat the eggs until well mixed… add the sweetened condensed milk and the sugar and beat on medium speed until well blended… add the espresso (already mixed with the hot water in previous step). Beat until well blended.

Add the flour, baking powder and salt, mix well.

Pour the filling mixture over the hot crust.

Return the pan to the oven and bake for 28 to 33 minutes (mine took 30 minutes…. also remember I used the 11 x 7 size pan) or until set.

Remove the pan from the oven and immediately sprinkle the remaining toffee bits over the top.

Allow to cool in the pan on a rack for an hour. Lift the foil out and place on a cutting board and cut into desired size pieces.

Store in an airtight container.

No comments:

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup