Sugar Measurement Conversions


Have you ever started to make a recipe only to realize you weren’t sure you had enough of an ingredient?

Well it happened to me recently… I was making a cake and according to the recipe I needed a one pound box of powdered sugar…. unfortunately I buy 2 pound bags…. Which I thought… okay…. I’ll just use half… ahh but not so fast… the bag was opened and partially used… I clearly had at least half a bag… but I don’t approximate in baking… in cooking I will.. but not baking… so I needed to know just how much one pound translated to into cups…

So.. on the hunt I went for measurements… and found them… problem solved… I thought it would be a good idea to share them with you… after all … buying bags of larger quantities is cheaper.. and baking season will soon be upon us… I thought perfect timing!






1 pound powdered sugar = 4 cups (unsifted)

2 pounds powdered sugar = 8 cups (unsifted)

1 pound granulated sugar = 2 ¼ cups

4 pounds granulated sugar = 9 cups

5 pounds granulated sugar = 11 ¼ cups

1 pound carton brown sugar = 2 ¼ to 2 ½ cups (amounts will vary because brown sugar is packed and varies by carton)

2 pound poly bag brown sugar = 4 ½ - 5 1/3 cups (amounts will vary because brown sugar is packed and varies by bag)



Source: Dixie Crystals (the sugar people)

No comments:

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup