Recipe: Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake


All I can say about Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake is FABULOUS … FABULOUS … FABULOUS!!!! I’m not a sweet freak… but this cake is just over the top… absolutely a show stopper!

When I started this blog… a few years ago… one of the first posts I wrote was about Gooey Butter Cake… it was a recipe that was given to me from a family member and attributed to Candace Cole. I’ve seen the recipe in all sorts of places since then and attributed to different people… so I really have no idea who really concocted the first Gooey Butter Cake… but whoever it was.. Bless them!

I took a lot of heat from the blog snob who sniffed that I posted glorified boxed recipes… (she probably scrunched her nose up and made that prune face … you know.. that constipated look from a cranky fuddy duddy)….. a lot she knows… why tamper with something that works?… besides.. I’m in good company with those that use boxed mixes on occasion … read on…

So recently I was looking for something different to make with pumpkin… Fall always gets me in the mood for pumpkin… and I found pumpkin version of that original recipe… Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake by Paula Deen… I don’t know why I was surprised she had this recipe.. it has her written all over it… lots of butter… cream cheese … lots of sugar… yep.. that’s Paula Deen alright… so I just had to try it…

Well … let me tell you… it’s surprisingly not overly sweet… and absolutely delicious. If you want to be a rock star at your next gathering.. bring this cake.

It’s easy and… don’t alter a thing.. it’s pure perfection.

TIPS

I recommend you line the pan with non-stick foil … over hang the foil over the sides of the pan.. so you can lift this cake out…. it will make getting it out of the pan loads easier.

Absolutely grease the foil anyway… and grease it well.

Need to soften the cream cheese quickly?... Click here for tips.

In case you buy bags of powdered sugar in larger quantities like I do….. One pound (16 oz.) powdered sugar equals 4 cups (unsifted).

The cake needs to be refrigerated to totally solidify… then take it out about 15 minutes before you want to cut it… it will cut easily then.

I served this with homemade whipped cream… put a small dollop on each piece… don’t overdo … this cake is rich.

So here’s Paula’s masterpiece.






Recipe: Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake

All you need:

Base:

1 (18 ¼ oz.) package yellow cake mix
1 egg
8 tablespoons butter melted

Top:

1 (8 oz.) pkg cream cheese, softened
1 (15 oz.) can pumpkin
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
8 tablespoons butter, melted
1 (16 oz.) box powdered sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg

Garnish:
Chantilly Cream (optional)

All you need to do:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Line a 9 x 13 pan with non-stick foil. Generously grease the foil. Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, melted butter and egg.

Pat the mixture into the prepared pan.

In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese for about 20 seconds, then slowly add the pumpkin, beat until smooth.

Add the eggs, vanilla and melted butter, beat until smooth.

Add the powdered sugar a little at a time, beating slowly so the powder doesn’t fly all over the place.

Add the cinnamon and nutmeg and mix well.

Spread the pumpkin mixture over the base in the pan.

Bake for 40 to 50 minutes. I baked mine for 45 minutes. Do not overbake. The center should be gooey and jiggle.

Allow to cool.

To make cutting easier…. Refrigerate for at least couple of hours to set cake.. then remove from the fridge about 15 minutes before cutting.

Serve with Chantilly Cream.

3 comments:

Coleens Recipes said...

What a great fall recipe!!

Linda said...

Ohhh Coleen... you have no idea just how good this is... let me put this way... it has a 5 star rating on the Food Network (Paula Deen)... by over 1900 reviews! ... you know it's good then!

This version and the original Gooey Butter Cake are just tops!

Thanks for coming!

Linda

Colie's Kitchen said...

Hi this is Nicole from Colie’s Kitchen I just discovered your blog and wanted to drop by and say hi. I am now a new follower. I would love to have you stop by Colie’s Kitchen if you get a chance. www.colieskitchen.com

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup