How to Make Vanilla Sugar


My recent post, All About Vanilla, hopefully provided you with some useful information about the flavoring that is probably the most popular and most often used. I think it’s important to know what exactly we use in our food and the options we have.

Who knew there were so many choices when it came to vanilla?… I sure didn’t until I investigated it. However, there are a few things I did know about vanilla… and vanilla sugar is one of them.

There are many uses for that wonderful vanilla bean.. and one simple thing my Mother always did was put a vanilla bean in her sugar. I remember lifting the lid on the sugar canister and just enjoying that sweet vanilla scent. To this day.. I still love the scent of vanilla.

TIP

I usually keep about 4 cups of vanilla sugar on hand... this way I have what I need for my recipes...I replenish it as needed and replace the vanilla bean(s) periodically. To make the initial supply.... just double the recipe.

How to Make Vanilla Sugar

Simply take a vanilla bean and slit it down the middle with a sharp knife. Bury it about 2 cups of granulated sugar in an airtight container and allow it to age for about 2 weeks. I've read that Alton Brown also scrapes the vanilla beans out and mixes them in the sugar… and also buries the bean. You can do it either way.

Uses

Use it as you would granulated sugar. One tablespoon of vanilla sugar will equal the flavoring of ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract.

No comments:

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup