Recipe: Cheddar and Herb Popovers


I was experimenting with bread flour and decided to add some flavor to the original popover recipe… and I wanted to see if using bread flour would make a difference… all I can say is…. I’ll say it made a difference!!!

You can read all about bread flour in my post about it. But in a nutshell… bread flour contains more protein aka gluten and therefore will cause breads to rise more… and in this case it made enormous popovers… not a bad thing… however… the outer shell of the popover was definitely a little crispier… which I wasn’t sure was ideal… not bad … but I prefer the softer outer shell when using all purpose flour… the tremendous upside to it and probably well worth the slightly crispy crust.. is that they kept their shape beautifully… instead of the usual deflate that happens… they kept their shape really well.

Usually I end up tossing leftovers… the softer popovers just don’t store well … these were excellent… I enjoyed them the next day for lunch… so it really is up to you if you want to use bread flour or all purpose flour… I would highly recommend you try it…

TIPS

I added an additional egg to the batter since I was adding shredded cheddar cheese to the popover.

I used a commercial grade popover pan.. you can use a large muffin tin … my tin doesn’t require greasing.. if your tin does.. make sure you grease well with butter so they don’t stick.

These were absolutely delicious… I used cheddar cheese.. asiago and parmesan would be wonderful too or even Colby Jack… use whatever cheese you like best.

These were so good… a terrific addition to a meal and soooo easy!






Recipe: Cheddar and Herb Popovers

All you need:

1 ¼ cup whole milk
½ teaspoon salt
1 ¼ cup bread flour
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
½ cup finely shredded cheddar cheese

All you need to do:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Add the milk, flour and salt to a large bowl and whisk until smooth and no lumps.

Add the eggs, one at a time…whisking the egg in after each addition.

Mix in spices and cheese.

Note: My tin does not require greasing … if you are using a pan that does need it… then generously grease it so the popovers don’t stick.

Fill the muffin tin ¾ full.

Bake at 425 degrees F for 20 minutes.

Reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees F and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.

Turn out onto a cooling rack.

Serve hot with butter.

No comments:

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup