Recipe: Breakfast Quesadillas


One day as we were sitting at the supper table … we were munching on some quesadillas when Warren remarked how these would be good with breakfast ingredients… hmmm…. now why hadn’t I thought of that before?!… I was impressed… so the wheels were turning… perfect for a breakfast on the go!

Now before I go any further I must tell you.. I have made quesadillas for years… with all kinds of ingredients… it has been a lunch and supper favorite… I serve them with Mexican Rice or refried beans.. and we are happy campers. Now here’s the shocker… I didn’t own a quesadilla maker… I have carefully flipped them all these years.. a complete pain in the butt… not to mention how I managed not to burn myself is a mystery.

So off to our local kitchen outlet store I trotted.. and bought myself a quesadilla maker. They had only one choice and it was cheap… $19.99.. glad I didn’t pay more for it.. it’s okay.. not great.. but seems to work okay… more on that in another post..

So this past weekend.. I made my breakfast quesadillas… and they were fabulous… if you love quesadillas… you’ll love these..

TIPS



I list ingredient suggestions… make them with as many or as little ingredients as you like… I tried various combinations… we decided our favorite was the one that piled on all the “Mexican’ type of ingredients including a bit of salsa…

Leftovers… which has been a recurring theme here lately… were great too… Warren loved them cold… I reheated mine for a minute or so in the micro.

You could easily cut the fat in these… use turkey or “veggie” sausage… you could also scramble egg substitute .. with all the flavors of the other ingredients.. no one will ever know you made them with Egg Beaters…

Some people like lower fat cheeses… all the power to them.. I usually personally prefer the real thing… but they have improved and some are really quite good… Sargento makes some excellent lower fat cheeses.

I peeled and cubed potatoes and browned them in a little margarine… these were a great little addition.

As far as a quick breakfast on the go during the week.. simply “make-up” the ingredients when you have time and store them in airtight containers… then all you have to do is assemble them and cook them.. they cook in minutes…

Try these… I know they will be a hit with the family!







Recipe: Breakfast Quesadillas

All you need (ingredient suggestions):

Browned hash brown potatoes or home fries
Scrambled eggs
Chopped green, red and yellow pepper
Chopped green onions
Chopped plum tomatoes
Browned, drained and crumbled sausage
Bacon, cooked and chopped
Thinly sliced deli ham or cubed ham
Shredded cheese (Colby Jack or cheddar)
Salsa

All you need to do:



Layer whatever ingredients on your tortilla and place another tortilla on top… and cook.





Cut into pie slices and serve hot.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this idea! Breakfast food is my favorite.

Linda said...

I'm so with you on this one! I just love breakfast anytime of the day!

Thanks for stopping by!

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup