Recipe: Crispy Pasta and Eggs


For lack of a better name… I’ve called this leftover gem… Crispy Pasta and Eggs… we have a Hungarian/German name for it I couldn’t begin to spell let alone accurately translate it… the closest I can come is Crispy Pasta and Eggs.

This was a favorite when growing up and still is… Warren has turned his nose up at it… which is fine with me.. more for me…

Leftover pasta, spaghetti in particular… but other pastas are used as well…. I’ve used cooked bowties and penne…. are fried in a pan with melted butter or margarine until light brown and crispy… then covered in scrambled eggs… a simple left over dish… I suspect it was “invented” during the depression when money for food was tight and every leftover was used in one way or another… a lot of leftover dishes came to be around that time.

TIP

Melt enough butter to cover the bottom of the pan… I use about 2 tablespoons.

Does your family have anything similar?

I hope you try it… the crunch of the pasta and the eggs.. just a really nice and easy dish to use up cooked pasta from another meal.... and tasty too!







Recipe: Crispy Pasta and Eggs

All you need:

Leftover cooked pasta
Butter or margarine
Enough scrambled eggs to cover the pasta
Salt and pepper to taste

All you need to do:


Melt the butter in a skillet over medium high heat.

Add the pasta and toss to coat evenly.

Allow the pasta to cook until light brown and flip to brown the other side until the pasta is lightly crunchy.

In a medium bowl beat eggs and a little milk.



Pour the eggs over the pasta and toss until cooked.

Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve hot.

8 comments:

Coleens Recipes said...

I can see many possibilities with this recipe, thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Hi,

The pasta looks great and yummy...:)

Dr.Sameena

Donna-FFW said...

Certainly sounds interesting, I have never heard of a dish like this, I bet it is fabulous!! Have agreat day, Linda!

Linda said...

Yes.. Collen.. I know... I've added grated cheddar cheese or chopped green onions to it before too.... the recipe though is the one I grew up with..

Thanks for stopping by!

Linda said...

Thanks Dr. Sameena!

Linda said...

Hi Donna..

I know it's different... the buttery flavor on the crispy spaghetti makes for a tasty egg dish.

Thanks for stopping by!

Barbara Welsh said...

I'm catching up on recipes I missed when I came across this. We make a similar dish called "Fried Crackers". Melt butter in fry pan, crumble a sleeve of crackers over that, add hot water to moisten and crack and egg or two over it and scramble the whole thing til eggs are cooked. Serve with butter, salt & pepper.

Linda said...

Sounds Yummy! It's amazing what families come up with for recipes using simple ingredients... it's what I call "real food" .. what families eat

Thanks for stopping by and sharing!

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup