Leftover Madness!


Does your family balk at eating leftovers? Do you feel frustrated trying to stay in budget and not waste food? I have tips to help.

First of all.. while I truly do sympathize with those of you that have family members that hate leftovers… I have never had that problem… we thrive on leftovers.. after all… what’s better than having a favorite meal a second time?

With leftovers there are … what I call.. budget stretchers… the most obvious example is freezing leftovers for another week… sometimes I freeze them into individual servings… for those nights when we’re on the run to somewhere and need a quick meal..

I don’t know about you.. but whenever I make beef stew or pot roast… I inevitably have left over gravy… I almost always freeze it unless I use it immediately in another meal.

A great tip I got from my Mother is to freeze the broth or gravy in an ice cube tray… after they’re frozen solid.. pop them out and into a Zip Loc bag or an airtight container… they make great, quick additions to many meals and also you can use a bunch of them to make a new batch of gravy for another meal… for example, meatloaf.

Very few things go to waste in our household… and with today’s prices and economy it just makes sense to make the most of everything. I will start a regular addition to the blog… creative ideas and ways to use odds and ends of all kinds of foods and leftovers.

And… Calling all readers!

Please send me your ideas… I want to hear from you!... something that works really well in your family may help another family make a great meal and save a dollar or two.

8 comments:

Coleens Recipes said...

We love leftovers too!! I always recycle chili into burrito's the next day with tons of cheese. I grill them in my George Foreman cooker. Yum. Keep the leftover hints coming!!

Kristen said...

Thursday night is always leftover night at our house, I love it

Kat said...

Yes, we eat leftovers. I had some stuffed cabbage last night left over from the night before! And probably again today!

Linda said...

Sounds great Coleen! Thanks for sharing!

Linda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Linda said...

Kristen .. we don't have a set leftover night but we almost always have at least one night each week for leftovers... makes weeknight meals easier!

Thanks for stopping by!

Linda said...

Kat... yummm.... sounds great... we love favorite meals more than once!

Thanks for stopping by!

Linda said...

Kat... yummm.... sounds great... we love favorite meals more than once!

Thanks for stopping by!

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup