Recipe: Summer Squash with Bacon and Onions


I love summer… although I hate to see it go.. I must admit I do love all the fresh produce that you can get this time of year…

On a recent shopping trip I purchased some baby Yellow or Summer Squash… they just looked so good… I figured I’d think of something to do with them… Warren noticed them and asked what I intended to do with them… I told him I wasn’t sure yet… he had a ready answer… his Mom sliced them and sautéed them with chopped bacon and onions… well enough said… that’s what I made!

After all… everything is better with bacon… and well.. if you add onions.. it’s just over the top…

The result was this recipe… which was excellent… I’m really glad Warren mentioned it.

This recipe is a side dish that should serve 4.

I hope you enjoy it… we certainly did!






Recipe: Summer Squash with Bacon and Onions

All you need:


2 small summer squash, sliced about ½ inch thick
1 large sweet onion, diced
5 slices smoked bacon, chopped





All you need to do:


In a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until it has rendered some fat.

Then add the onions and cook until the onions are almost soft. Stir frequently.





Push the bacon and onions to the sides of the pan, leave about 1 tablespoon of fat in the pan.. removing and discarding any extra fat.

Lay the slices of squash in the pan and cook over medium heat until slightly browned… flip them over and brown the other side…



Remove the squash from the pan and place in a serving bowl. Sprinkle the bacon and onions over them.

Serve immediately.

No comments:

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup