Recipe: Strawberry Vanilla Oreo Ice Cream


This post and recipe was inspired by the Dairy Queen Blizzard of the month.. which I might add… was fabulous… yes… I just had to have one…

First a little background… I grew up on Long Island in New York… and vaguely remember Dairy Queen.. and frankly… I’m not even sure it was from there.. it could have been from family vacations we took around the country… in any case… I have lived in numerous places since then… and there hasn’t been a Dairy Queen around… so you could say I was a Dairy Queen novice…

Then Warren entered my life.. and I came to Georgia… and during a visit early on.. Warren mentioned ..would I like to go for some Dairy Queen?.... I’m always up for ice cream… (I take after my Mother …if you call from earlier posts… my Mother is addicted to ice cream.. and don’t let her tell you any different… )… anyway.. he mentioned a Blizzard… I was clueless… so off to Dairy Queen we went… all I can say.. I was hooked….

Okay fast forward to last week… I was running errands… getting hungry.. it was really hot…and I thought… ohhhh I want to try that flavor of the month at Dairy Queen and the month is almost over… Warren was out of town on business… so hey… I’m an adult.. I can have ice cream for dinner… so I did…

Well… let me tell you… it was a great flavor… and it wasn’t until I was eating it and thinking…. gee this is the consistency of the ice cream coming out of the ice cream maker… did it hit me… I can make this at home… for a fraction of the cost… yes a fraction… for what I paid for a small Blizzard… I could have maybe added only a dollar and made a quart and a half… (actually … it made 2 quarts… my ice cream maker almost runneth over… but thankfully it didn’t…)

When Warren came home… we talked about it.. and apparently the Blizzards are made with a vanilla ice cream base and things are just added to it… so I figured I’d give it a try… glad I did!

TIPS

This does make almost 2 quarts… it filled the ice cream maker to the brim at the end… when I added all the chopped cookies in… you don’t have to add all the cookies in while the ice cream maker is on… you can add more when you finish and stir them in as you pour the ice cream into your container.

The ice cream will be very soft because of the additional liquid added with the topping… and will require you to continue freezing for longer… freeze until you have the right consistency for your Blizzard… or pour it into the container and put it in the freezer for a while and just scoop it out when you want to serve it… or it will harden to a regular ice cream which is also fabulous!

You really need to try this… not only does it taste great… buy your milk and cream at Walmart… and you’ll save a fortune… it won’t take long for the ice cream maker to pay for itself.. you can give your family ice cream treats all summer long without going broke!






Recipe: Strawberry Vanilla Oreo Ice Cream

All you need:

1 cup whole milk, well chilled
¾ cup granulated sugar
2 cups heavy cream
1-2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract (to taste…I used 2)
1 ½ jars (from 2 jars 11.75 oz. each) Smucker’s Strawberry Topping
3 cups chopped Vanilla Oreo Sandwich cookies

All you need to do:

In a mixing bowl combine the milk and sugar… beat at low speed until sugar is dissolved…about two minutes.

Remove the bowl from the mixer and stir in the heavy cream and vanilla.

Take the freezer bowl out of the freezer and set it on the machine base.

Insert the paddle with the little point into the little hole in the freezer bowl.

Place the plastic lid over the freezer bowl and turn to lock it into place.

Flip the machine on and pour the ice cream batter through the opening at the top of the plastic lid.

Set a timer for 25 minutes. It will take between 25-30 minutes for the ice cream to thicken (this is using the Cuisinart ICE-20 model)… if you are using a different brand or model… check your instruction booklet to be sure the timing is the same.

Add 1 ½ jars of the Strawberry Topping… and add about ½ of the cookies to the ice cream maker and continue to freeze until it has thickened….

I stopped mine after 10 minutes… and poured it into a container … stirred in the remaining chopped cookies… put the lid on tight and froze it in the freezer for about 2 hours before serving… it will still be fairly soft like a Blizzard… freeze longer and you will have a regular ice cream hardness.

NOTE: You will need a 2 quart container for this recipe.

No comments:

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup