Recipe: Barbecue Seasoning


The basis for a great barbecue sauce starts with great seasoning… so in order to try the Neely Barbecue sauce… I had to make a batch of the Neely Barbecue Seasoning… the ingredients are simple… and I knew from the moment I read the recipe… I’d found a seasoning recipe I can use in a lot of things… not just barbecue sauce..

This takes a lot of paprika… we found a spice sale at Publix… and bought quite a bit of paprika, garlic powder and onion powder…. we use tons of it in this house…. I have an investment tip… buy stock in garlic powder… you just wouldn’t believe how much I go through… it invariably is always on our shopping list… well.. until recently when Warren stocked up.

TIPS

I used Spice World paprika.. it’s not labeled hot or sweet… it’s just a basic paprika .. which is exactly what the Neely recipe calls for.

I know it’s hard to judge amounts… this recipe uses 1 ½ cups of paprika… we bought Spice World.. a 3 ¾ ounce bottle… I used the entire bottle and a little from another bottle… so you will definitely need more than 1 bottle to make this.

I used a wire whisk to mix it evenly.. and put it into an airtight container… use it for seasoning meatloaf.. or use it as a dry rub for grilled meats…. or as a seasoning in any recipe of your own.

It has just 3 ingredients..now how simple is that?

This is a terrific barbecue seasoning blend… I highly recommend you try it… and better yet… why not consider getting their cookbook… Down Home With the Neely’s… an excellent southern cookbook.






Recipe: Neely’s Barbecue Seasoning

All you need:

1 ½ cups paprika
¾ cup sugar
3 ¾ tablespoons onion powder

All you need to do:

Put all the spices in a small bowl and mix well. I used a wire whisk and it blended the spiced very evenly.

Store in an air tight container and place in a cool, dry place.. it should last for up to 6 months.

No comments:

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup