Recipe: Banana Sour Cream Bundt Cake


Bananas …bananas… and more bananas… if there was ever a challenge in this household… it’s what to do with bananas. They are good for you and truly delicious on their own… so I am glad Warren eats one every day for breakfast… it’s a far cry from when we first got together… the man ate those crumb cakes you get in the machine at work… you know the ones… the ones that for some reason never spoil…makes you wonder just what they put in those things…

The problem is… when we shop.. he picks out a bunch… and I admit.. I’m part of the problem… sometimes I eat them.. some times I don’t… but it just seems funny that every week.. I have 3 bananas left… and they’re deemed too ripe to munch on by you know who… tsk … so I guess I have to make banana bread… I must have ten recipes for banana bread alone.. not counting muffin variations … so I am always on the lookout for a good banana recipe… I personally like a little variety… for Warren’s part.. I could make that one Banana Bread recipe he loves every week.

So in my searching I found a bundt cake recipe… I really like bundt cakes.. and I really need to make more of them…they really are simple and really very good… a perfect cake to snack on.


My favorite pan isn’t a traditional bundt pan that you think of when someone talks about bundt pans.. usually they have flat tops and with straight high sides…. my pan is also a bundt pan amd has pretty little ridges in the top… it’s a little wider and not quite as deep… it’s the one my Mother gave me… she used it constantly while I was growing up… she would make all kinds of bundt… some with mixes .. some from scratch… plain good cake… some with powdered sugar others with a glaze…perfect with a glass of milk after school.

This recipe is from recipezaar… the minute I saw it .., I knew it was for me… sour cream.. I love baking with sour cream… it gives cakes a really great texture and flavor…

I actually followed the recipe exactly… only I did leave out the nuts… they’re not listed as optional in the original recipe.. but I did list them as optional here… the cake was terrific without them.

TIP

My only tip is to use really ripe bananas… lots of black speckles or even almost black… they should be mushy when you take them out of the peel… they are the most flavorful and easiest to work with when they’re like that.



Here’s a great little recipe you can put together in 15 minutes or less…


Recipe: Banana Sour Cream Bundt Cake

All you need:

1/3 cup butter, softened
1 ¼ cups sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 medium ripe bananas,, mashed
2 cups flour
1 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup sour cream
¾ cup chopped nuts (optional)

All you have to do:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Grease and flour the bundt pan and set aside.

Using a mixer with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar.

Add the eggs, one at a time… beat on low speed until well blended.

Add the vanilla and the bananas.

In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix well.

Alternate adding the sour cream and the flour mixture to the banana mixture.

Stir in nuts, if using.

Pour into the prepared bundt pan.

Bake at 350 degrees F. for 50 minutes or until a pick comes out clean.

Cool 10 minutes in the pan.

Remove the cake from the pan and cool completely.

Dust with powdered before serving.

4 comments:

Kat said...

B. eats a banana a day too! I just ate one, but I am like you and not an everyday gal. This recipe looks easy enough. Next time I have the over-ripes, I will give it a try. Thanks.

Linda said...

Thanks for stopping by, Kat... I hope you like it when you try it.. it really was easy and very good.

Katy ~ said...

Been on the lookout for "the" banana cake recipe, smiles. This one looks very good. I'd have to omit the nuts as well, due to nut allergies here. Good find and share!

Nica said...

Had a New Year Day cheesecake failure so needed another dessert idea and had sour cream on hand - cake turned out perfect - moist, flavorful, wonderful texture. I added a little Princess cake flavoring and banana flavoring which I think added a little richness to it.

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup