Simple Days of Summer


I love summer… well… I do like all the seasons… winter … well… not so much… but summer has a special place in my heart…. to me.. it reminds me of getting out of school for a couple of months… summer camp… family vacations… hot, lazy afternoons… afternoon thunderstorms… and best of all… ice cream.


Now I come from an ice cream family… my Mother… and she will probably deny this… is addicted to ice cream… every night she would have a scoop or two… I think she inherited that trait from my Grandmother… the sweet tooth queen… my Grandmother would visit us for a few days every so often …. She’d come in the house and headed directly for the cookie jar to see if there were any cookies in it… then she’d peer up on top of the fridge to see if there was cake in the cake keeper… and the next stop… the freezer.. to see if we had ice cream… and if by chance we were empty.. she’d look at my Mother and say in a low voice… such a poor house…. tsk tsk… I can still hear her say it… and I hope I never forget it.

I’ve wanted to make ice cream for some time now… believe it or not… I’m in south Georgia.. the ice cream selection is nothing short of pitiful… and frankly, I’m shocked… you would think in this Amazon-like climate they would have a decent selection of ice cream… they don’t.

I’m used to upstate New York… where the selection of regular ice cream is excellent.. the grocery stores have walls of freezer space devoted to ice creams and sherbets…they also have a really good selection of non-fat and light ice creams and frozen yogurts… here.. I’m lucky I can find the basic vanilla and chocolate in non-fat… and an occasional specialty flavor in it… I’m guessing eating light is just not done in south Georgia…. So my solution is.. I’ll make it myself.


Now my Mother is probably laughing at this… because as a child… we had Howard Johnson… remember their 28 flavors?… hey … that was a big deal back then… I’d stand there and hem and haw… and what would I ask for?… vanilla…. I’m still a vanilla freak… but I have graduated to the big time… I could eat my way through the flavor selection at Ben and Jerry’s if my butt and cholesterol count would let me. By the way… I’m not ancient.. we did have Baskin and Robbins … and Friendly’s when I was still in school… and yes… when they came to our neighborhood… I thought I’d died and went to heaven..

So where am I going with this you might be wondering… we’re going to make ice cream… all kinds… after all… food blogging does have its perks… and this my friends.. is one of them… let’s just hope my butt doesn’t end up the size of Alaska.






Vintage Howard Johnson Poster picture can be found on their site.

The cookie jar wasn't what we had growing up... I happen to like Slyvester... so he made it to my blog ... the cookie jar is available at The Cookie Jar Store... if interested... hurry these things sell out fast.

No comments:

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup