Recipe: Taco Salad


Salads are as wide ranging and as different as you can get…. I was told by my doc that I have to eat salads… probably the first time in my life a doctor told me something I actually liked hearing…. I love salads… all kinds…. so with Warren away this week on business, I indulged myself in having salads for dinner… last night was Taco Salad night.

Taco salad is so good… and depending on what you add to it will depend just how “healthy” it is. I know I have spur cream in the picture… I love sour cream…. so shoot me… I don’t use salad dressing on my taco salad…

I found most recipes use French or Catalina dressing… usually I’m open minded about these things… but all I can say is ewwwww … French dressing????.....I have no idea where that idea came from… . I wasn’t aware the French conquered Mexico… and well Catalina… I don’t know about that one either…

Personally, I like salsa on my taco salad… no fat… low in calories… loaded with vegetables and flavor… I’m good…. so my only vice is the sour cream… well… okay… I found these terrific crunchies for the top… but I didn’t go overboard.

You can put as little or as much of the ingredients you prefer…. these are suggestions. I used ground beef you can also use chicken, turkey or fish…. Prepare with your favorite Taco seasoning… I posted a great recipe for Taco Seasoning Mix awhile ago.

I also posted a recipe for Guacamole.

The quantities I used are approximate and made 1 large dinner salad.

So Taco Salad it was last night… and a Margarita on the side… hmmmm… it was good.






PRINT RECIPE

Recipe: Taco Salad

All you need:

1 cup Iceberg lettuce, shredded
½ - ¾ cup of prepared Taco meat
2 tablespoons chopped red pepper
2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
2 tablespoons chopped green onions
2 tablespoons chopped plum tomato
1 tablespoon sliced black olives
¼ cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
¼ cup salsa
2 tablespoons sour cream
2 tablespoons guacamole (homemade or store bought)
Tortilla strip crunchies or tortilla chips

All you need to do:

On a large plate, put the shredded lettuce in the center.

Sprinkle ½ of each of the chopped vegetables and sliced olives on the lettuce.

Scoop the taco meat into the center.

Sprinkle ½ the remaining chopped vegetables and sliced olives on top.

Sprinkle the shredded cheese all over the salad.

Sprinkle the remaining chopped vegetables and sliced olives over the salad.

Sprinkle with tortilla strip crunchies.

Serve with sour cream, salsa and guacamole.

3 comments:

shorty said...

Try the Catalina. It is really good!

Anonymous said...

I love salads! Have one for lunch nearly every day. It's been so long since I've had a taco salad. And I do believe that the only recipe I have calls for tossing with French. Never really thought about it, but that is a little odd.

Donna-FFW said...

Margarita on the side.. perfect! I enjoy salsa on a taco salad as well.

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup