Recipe: Shortbread Cookies


I love Shortbread Cookies… no doubt about it…. I will always make a beeline for them. I just love the buttery flavor.

I’ve tried numerous recipes…. recently I posted a recipe for Chocolate Frosted Shortbread Bars that are absolutely delicious. My only gripe with them is that they tend to be very light and flaky… I like my Shortbread Cookies to have a little more crunch… well maybe not crunch but not as delicate. I was given advice to add a bit more flour… so I tried it… nothing ventured nothing gained.

The result is the following recipe…. I liked the way it came out…. it had the same buttery flavor I love and the cookies held together nicely.

My recipe is a little different from most Shortbread recipes, I use light brown sugar and add a little salt and vanilla to the dough… it enhances the flavor.

You can go to the trouble of rolling out the dough and using cookie cutters or you can use a small melon ball scoop and then flatten the balls with the bottom of a glass or you can roll the dough into a log and wrap it in plastic wrap and pop it in the fridge for about ½ hour then unwrap it and slice it.

I like to do the log method but tried the melon ball scoop technique this time. Both methods were easy …. but I found that when I used the melon ball scoop method, and pressed them flat with a glass… they tended to split around the edges… they didn’t come out looking quite as perfect as when I slice them.

I recommend using a mixer to make the dough. The dough will be extremely crumbly at first, keep mixing until the dough comes together to form a soft dough.

Enjoy!



Recipe: Shortbread Cookies

All you need:

1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
½ cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
2 ¼ cups flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
¼ teaspoon salt

All you need to do:

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

Line cookie sheets with parchment paper for easier cookie removal.

In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy.

Add the flour and salt slowly beating and medium speed.

Beat until a soft dough forms.

Choose a method of cutting the cookies:

Roll the dough out and cut out cookies using a cookie cutter OR

Roll the dough into a log and wrap with plastic wrap. Place in the fridge for about 30 minutes. Unwrap and cut the dough into slices OR

Using a small melon ball scoop, scoop dough unto the cookie sheet. Using the bottom of a lightly greased glass, press gently down on the balls to flatten.

Pierce cookies with a fork and bake at 325 degrees for 17-20 minutes or until edges

4 comments:

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

do you need my address to have some of these delivered???

no icing???

Linda said...

LOL.... I was going to dip them in chocolate tomorrow... meets your approval?

Heather S-G said...

Oh, I love them too!! Simple cookies at their best :D

Judy said...

shortbread cookies are one of my faves. I'm posting a recipe for them soon too. I like your additions of vanilla and salt.

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup