Countdown to Turkey Day – Days 8-9

The Menu

It’s a good idea to start that menu list, if you haven’t done so already. I usually start with the definite… Turkey, Gravy, Mashed Potatoes, Cranberry Sauce, Dinner Rolls, etc. Toward the bottom of the sheet… I put the “possibles’… things that I’m thinking of serving… just not quite sure yet…. I have to evaluate time and money before committing.

When deciding on menu items, keep in mind any dietary restrictions any of the guests may have as well as, likes and dislikes….. try to have a well-rounded meal that everyone can enjoy.

I like to divide the menu into “Before” “The Main Meal” “Dessert” and “After”… and Beverages

Before …meaning appetizers or hors’dourves …. and depending on the timing of the Main Meal… any foods needed for consuming earlier in the day… for example, breakfast… or light lunch if your Thanksgiving meal is an evening one.

The Main Meal….. obviously the main event..

Dessert…. The actual dessert(s) that will be served … don’t forget to figure on coffee and tea… I have an excellent Buying Guide for Coffee and Tea for a Crowd… as well as … Tips for Making Coffee for a Crowd

After….. depending on how long your guests are staying… will they be partaking in Round Two… leftovers? Will you need additional snacks? This is particularly important when having overnight guests..

Beverages… don’t forget to figure on beverages….wine, any alcoholic beverages you plan to serve, milk, soda, coffee and tea… most can be purchased well in advance.. a perfect “buy ahead item”. Don’t forget to put ice on your list to purchase that morning….

When the definite items go on the menu… I add what I need to the grocery list…. and I print out any recipes I need to make it… clip everything together and on the fridge it goes. If something on the list is delegated to a guest to bring… I make note of who is bringing it.

The Grocery List

Believe it or not the Grocery List is far more important than people give it credit. Don’t underestimate the importance of the Grocery List….it keeps you from forgetting something you will need and it also keeps impulse buying to a minimum and keeps the meal budget friendly.

2 comments:

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

I am on target, actually, my shopping got done today (incredible sales). I am set, if only I stopped reading other people's blog postings and changing my menu

Linda said...

Congrats! ... especially on getting in on the sales... and being organized

I'm organized too... will probably finish shopping in the next day or two... as for changing the menu... well... I think it's a sign of a creative cook... always looking for something new to try

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup