Recipe: Spinach Mushroom Quiche


This recipe for Spinach Mushroom Quiche evolved, as many of my recipes do. I’ve had my own recipe for Spinach Mushroom Quiche for years … which admittedly, after experimenting with adding ingredients, was on the bland side, at least I thought so. I always added sautéed onion and garlic… I always added cheese but I usually used Gruyere ….

This time I decided I wanted a little more flavor punch… and looked around for suggestions.... and decided on a couple of changes....I wanted a flavor punch and I got it!

I used equal parts Colby Jack Cheese and Cheddar instead of Gruyere…. I added herb and garlic pub cheese… I even used a “Light” Herb and Garlic Spread ….. but that’s where the “light” ends… I used real butter and whole milk… I can see substituting margarine… but I would use the whole milk… makes for a better custard…..

I loved the flavor of the spinach mixture so much… (everything minus the eggs and milk)…. that I have a few ideas for other uses…. Don’t you just love experimenting?

Another thing I did was to make it more of a deep dish quiche I used my deep dish pie plate… I wanted to be sure I had enough eggs and milk in this… I wanted it definitely custardy (is that really a word? … well you get the idea).

TIPS

The recipe calls for 1 cup of frozen spinach… I use frozen spinach in the bag… I always have some in the freezer because we like it so much… and by the way…. I measured the 1 cup before I thawed it.

I chopped the onion and garlic cloves in my mini processor…. I find that the fresh garlic gets incorporated with the onion better that way. The mini processor gets the onion and garlic finely chopped so that no one will get a mouthful of either… you want the flavor of the onion and garlic, not the pieces.

I used a regular pie shell and fluted the sides… you can use a deep dish pie shell (store bought or homemade) but I firmly believe quiche is more about the filling and less about the pie shell… I wouldn’t add more crust … but that is entirely up to you.


My oven was exactly at 375 degrees F… it baked perfectly in 15 minutes plus the 35 minutes. One major tip I have is that you really need to let it stand for 10 minutes before cutting it…. mine set-up perfectly and even the first piece came out perfectly (see picture).

This was truly easy and delicious…. I hope you try it.

Enjoy!

Print Recipe

Recipe: Spinach Mushroom Quiche

All you need:

1 unbaked 9 inch pie shell (homemade or store bought)
1 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed in a strainer to get all excess liquid out
6 tablespoons butter or margarine (I used butter)
1 small onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
½ (8 ounce) package of fresh mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
¾ (8 ounce package) of Light Garlic and Herb Spreadable Cheese (pub cheese or Rondele)
½ cup Colby Jack Cheese, finely shredded, divided
½ cup Cheddar Cheese, finely shredded, divided
1 cup whole milk
4 eggs
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste

All you need to do:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Lay pie crust in deep dish pie plate. Set aside.

In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium high heat.

In a mini processor, chop the onion and garlic together until finely chopped.

Add the onion and garlic to the skillet and sauté until onions are translucent (about 5-7 minutes). Do not let the onions or garlic brown…. if they start to brown… turn the heat down a bit.

Add the mushrooms and continue to cook for about 3 minutes until mushrooms begin to soften a bit.

Add the spinach and the Garlic and Herb Cheese… mix well.

Add ¼ cup of the Colby Jack cheese and ¼ cup of the Cheddar cheese. Stir until melted.

Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Remove the skillet from the heat and allow to cool for at least 5 minutes.

In the meantime, in a medium bowl, whisk the milk and the eggs together until well blended.

Add the spinach mixture to the egg mixture and mix well.

Pour the mixture into the pie shell.

Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes.

In a small bowl combine the remaining Colby Jack cheese and Cheddar cheese. Toss with your hands until well blended.

Sprinkle the cheese over the quiche.

Continue baking for an additional 35 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean and the center is set.

Allow to stand for at least 10 minutes before cutting.

4 comments:

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

Real grillmen will eat quiche... especially this one. Sounds easy and ingredients on hand

Thanks for the post

Sherri Murphy said...

I love this one. I'm a quiche lover- and spinach lover. Well done.

Amariah said...

I need to stop reading your blog at night.. I'm starving now!!

Anonymous said...

Custardy is definitaly a word, at least in my house it is. This looks good. All those cheese variations are fun.

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup