Recipe: Neiman Marcus Urban Legend Chocolate Chip Cookie


This recipe apparently is part of an urban legend about Neiman Marcus Department Store and a patron of their café. I had never heard of the legend (I swear sometimes I think I live under a rock) until my son mentioned it and how good the cookie recipe was.

The story goes that the person and their daughter finished having lunch and decided to have “The Neiman Marcus Cookie” for dessert. They loved the cookie so much that they asked for the recipe from the waitress who said they couldn’t have it. They offered to pay for it and the waitress told them it would cost “two-fifty”…. Thinking it was a bargain, they agreed to buy it. When the monthly bill from Neiman Marcus came, the charge for the cookie recipe was $250 US not $2.50. Irate, they called and complained and the store told them basically that they would not get a refund. In retaliation, they spread the recipe over the internet by emailing whoever they could and asking them to email it along as well.

According to the Neiman Marcus website, this story is an urban legend and what they call a modern myth of origins unknown. They say they never have charged for the recipe and that it’s free for all to copy, print and pass along to family and friends…. it’s absolutely free.

So here is the recipe as it appears on the Neiman Marcus website…. I tried it… I found it to be a very good chocolate chip cookie recipe…. the addition of the espresso gave it a nice light hint of coffee. Would I pay $250 for it?.... no… I don’t think the cookie was overly special…. but the recipe is definitely a do-over.

Enjoy!



Recipe: Neiman Marcus Urban Legend Chocolate Chip Cookie

All you need:

1 stick butter, softened
1 cup light brown sugar
3 tablespoons white sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 ¾ cup flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 ½ teaspoons instant espresso coffee powder
1 ½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

All you need to do:

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.

Cream the butter with the sugars using an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy (about 30 seconds)

Beat in the egg and the vanilla extract for 30 seconds.

In a mixing bowl, sift together the dry ingredients and beat into the butter mixture at low speed for about 15 seconds.

Stir in the espresso coffee powder and chocolate chips.

Using a 1 ounce scoop or a 2 tablespoon measure, drop cookie dough onto a greased cookie sheet about 3 inches apart.

Gently press down on the dough with the back of a spoon to spread the dough out into a 2 inch circle.

Bake for about 20 minutes or until nicely browned around the edges. Bake a little longer for a crispier cookie.

Makes 2 dozen.

4 comments:

Sherri Murphy said...

I didn't realize this wasn't a true story. I've heard it for years. The recipe is great! Legendary.

Linda said...

At least you've heard of the story... I hadn't until my son told me about it and asked me to try the recipe because he thought it was so good.

Sweet Sue said...

After hearing about this story for many years, I tried this recipe this morning, I added chopped walnuts cause they were here. I can truly say this is the best choc chip recipe I've ever had, better than Toll house by far! Perfect crumb, tender and a bit crispy in every bite. We love anything with choc and espresso, next time I'll add a smidge more espresso for extra flavor. Thx for this Linda, have a great day:)

Linda said...

Sue...Glad you liked it as much as we did!

I only make the Toll House recipe for kinds... I figure the little nieces and nephews don't need the expresso! (actually the adults don't need them to have it...LOL)

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup