Recipe: Crab Cakes


This Crab Cake recipe is terrific and very easy to make. This is the combination of several recipes I have. Actually, I have many crab cake recipes… all slightly different… and I love them all! I’m almost certain I can say I never met a crab cake I didn’t like. Albeit, I like some far better than others…

This recipe has a tiny bit of zip to it with the cayenne pepper… but it doesn’t overpower the main event… the crab…. The buttery crackers give it a light buttery flavor that I think you will like.

Some Quick Tips

I found this mixture a bit of a pain to make into cakes … it was very loose. You can add 2 tablespoons of flour to help if you are really having trouble.

Refrigerating the mixture before forming patties helps and then I put them on a plate covered with plastic wrap and pop them in the freezer for about 20-30 minutes so they are easier to fry up.

I used a small amount of red pepper very finely chopped… it adds a little flavor and color… one side of a medium sized red pepper will equal what you need… use the rest of the unchopped red pepper in another recipe… it stores well in an airtight container or Zip Loc.

Using real fresh crab meat is always best but very expensive… imitation crab meat also works well and is far cheaper…. I bought a little more than ¾ of a pound (I’m using the other ¼ pound for something else) and it cost me $2.00 US…. Not bad when you figure that I got 8 good sized crab cakes… 2-3 per person is what I usually plan depending on what else I’m serving. Leftovers never go to waste here!

I served this with a garlicy rice and a side vegetable… you could add a side salad also.

I used Panko bread crumbs to coat the cakes… you can use any dry bread crumbs, but in my opinion Panko are the best. They can be readily found in grocery stores by the other bread crumbs.

To save myself time on clean-up I use my large skillet to sauté the onions and peppers… then wipe it out and use the same skillet to fry my crab cakes.

Spicy Remoulade Sauce goes really well with these... click here for the recipe.







PRINT RECIPE

Recipe: Crab Cakes

All you need:

2 tablespoons olive oil
6 large scallions (green onions), finely chopped
3 tablespoons finely chopped red pepper
8 ounces crab meat or imitation crab meat, chopped (fairly small dice)
2 eggs, slightly beaten
2 tablespoons mayo
2 sleeves buttery crackers (Keebler or Ritz), crushed
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
½ teaspoon cayenne
1 ¼ teaspoons garlic powder
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
2 tablespoons flour (optional)
1 cup Panko crumbs or dry bread crumbs
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons olive oil
Chopped chives for garnish (optional)

All you need to do:

In a skillet over high heat, sauté the green onion in 2 tablespoons olive oil.
Add the red pepper and continue sautéing until the onions are soft.

Remove from the heat and allow to cool.

In a large bowl, combine crushed buttery crackers, green onions and red peppers, eggs, mayo, dry mustard, Dijon mustard, cayenne, garlic powder, salt and pepper.

Mix well.

Fold in the crab meat.

Add the flour if your mixture is too crumbly.

Refrigerate the mixture for about 30 minutes in the fridge before forming the patties.

Form ½ inch thick patties and then coat in the Panko or dry bread cumbs.

Place on a plate, cover with plastic wrap and place in the freezer for 20-30 minutes to help solidify the patties and make them easier to fry.

In a large skillet, over medium high heat, melt 3 tablespoons butter with 3 tablespoons of olive oil.

Cook cakes until golden brown on the bottom and flip.

When golden brown on both sides, remove and drain on paper towels.

Garnish with chopped chives if desired and serve hot.

No comments:

Looking for More Recipes?

If you are looking for more recipes click the "Older Posts" link to page back to older posts or go to the archives in the right column. The list of labels at the bottom in the right column will help you find specific types of recipes or try our search engine at the top and search by name or ingredient.


What's more comforting on a cold day than Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? .. and it's so easy to make!

Chicken Noodle Soup